Volume I - Chapter I

The sun had long set, but the light of the moon was just enough to illuminate the room in a soft, eerie glow. Ozpin, Headmaster of Beacon Academy sat in his office, a cup of coffee in hand. On the desk, a small device played a video feed of the defense of Evergreen City. The sound of battle filled the room, along with the occasional scream and shout.

He saw the valiant efforts of the soldiers, of the Huntsman and Huntresses as they fought against the Grimm, their skills and training put to the test. He saw them fighting tooth and nail, giving everything they had to protect those who could not protect themselves. He saw them bleeding, sweating and crying, but never once do they falter. It was a sight that filled him with both pride and sorrow. Pride for the bravery of these proud and brave warriors, and sorrow for the sacrifices they had to make.

But it wasn't just these people that caught his attention. There was someone else in the recording, someone who was not a part of the military or the Huntsmen. They moved with the grace of a dancer and the ferocity of a lion. Their lance shifted effortlessly from one hand to the other as they parried and thrust, their movements a blur as they fought.

He watched as this mysterious person fought their way through countless Grimm, never once faltering or slowing down. They almost seemed like a force of nature, unstoppable and unyielding. He didn't know who this person was, but he knew that they were someone to be reckoned with. Ozpin sat back in his chair and took a sip of his coffee before placing it on his desk, his mind racing as he tried to piece together this puzzle. Who is this person? Where did they come from?

He focused his attention back on this mysterious person, studying their every move. They were fast, skilled and powerful, but there was something else about them. Something that he couldn't quite put his finger on. They seemed almost... otherworldly.

Shaking his head, he forced himself to look away. He had to stay focused, had to remember his duty. There were more important things at stake here, much more than any one person, no matter how impressive they may be.

Looking back at the footage, he couldn't help but feel a twinge of regret. He should have been there, should have been fighting alongside these brave people. But instead, he was here in his office, safe and sound while they put their lives on the line. He knew that he could not risk his life in battle, no matter how much he wanted to. He had a duty, a responsibility to the people of Remnant.

No, it wouldn't do for him to die now. Too early, too soon. He had to stay here, and hope that these people would be able to triumph over the Grimm.

'Still... is there truly no other way?'

It was times like these that he questioned his own choices. Whether he had made the right decision in becoming the Champion of the Gods. Whether he was truly the best for the people of Remnant. He felt like he was failing, like he was letting everyone down. He was supposed to be the one who protected them, and yet...

He lean back in his chair and rubbed his eyes, trying to think of a way to help. But no matter how hard he tried, he couldn't think of anything. In the end, he was just one man, and there was little he could do to change the course of this battle.

He had dispatched whatever forces he could spare to the front lines, and those that remained were just enough to guard the Academy. Glynda, Peter, Celestia, Oobleck, Qrow... even Amber, the Fall Maiden, had gone to help in the defense.

He hoped... prayed that they would all come back safe. That this would all be over soon, and that everyone could go back to their lives. But he knew better than to get his hopes up.

He sighed and took another sip of his coffee, his hand shaking ever so slightly, the weight of the world bearing down on him. It seemed like an impossible task, but he had to try. He had to stay strong and find a way to stop this madness before it was too late.