Volume I - Chapter IV

"This way, Miss..."

Kiana followed the man through the winding hallways of the Schnee estate, her eyes alert and sharp. It was not her first time in such a lavish place, but she had to admit that the manor was quite... impressive.

Yet despite its beauty, something about the place just felt... cold. Uninviting and suffocating.

Eventually, they arrived at a large door, which the man opened before ushering her inside.

"Right this way, please." He said politely, leading her into the room. "The Head Butler will be here momentarily."

"Thank you."

The man somehow looked surprised before quickly excussing himself.

She took a quick glance around, her eyes landing on the seven other mercenaries in the room. They all stared at her with varying degrees of interest, and she could feel their eyes examining her from head to toe.

She met their gazes calmly, matching their scrutiny with her own.

"Another one, eh?" One of them, a burly man with several facial scars spoke up. "You sure this one is cut out for the job?"

"I can assure you that I am more than capable of doing my job." She replied evenly, her voice devoid of emotion. "Are you?"

"You! How dare you-"

"That's enough, Jasper." Another mercenary, a woman with short brown hair spoke up. "Can't you see she's not in the mood for your bullshit?"

"Tch..." The scarred man grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest. "Yeah, yeah... whatever you say, girlie."

The woman rolled her eyes before turning to Kiana.

"Ignore them," she said. "They're just a bunch of idiots who like to hear themselves talk."

Kiana inclined her head in acknowledgement before taking a seat on one of the couch near the corner of the room. She watched as the other mercenaries went about their business, their voices low and hushed as they talked amongst themselves.

Eventually, the door opened once again and a tall, well-dressed man entered the room. He had a faint air of authority about him, and he surveyed the room with his piercing green eyes.

"Good evening," he spoke, his voice deep and booming. "I am Harkin Reed, the Head Butler of the Schnee Manor."

He paused for a moment, his eyes landing on Kiana. She met his gaze unflinchingly, her face hidden behind her mask.

"As you are all aware," he continued after a beat. "The Schnee have been... experiencing some problem as of late. Especially with the recent rise of White Fang activities. Threats have been made against their lives, and it has been deemed necessary to hire additional security."

He paused once again, his eyes scanning the room before settling on Kiana once more.

"While I personally do not agree with the decision to bring in outside help," he said. "I am nonetheless duty bound to follow my Master's orders."

"Which brings me to you." He took a deep breath before continuing. "You are all here because you come highly recommended by some of the most respected people in your respective fields."

"Your job is to serve as an additional protection details for Master Jacquess and Lady Weiss on their business trip to Mistral tomorrow morning." He look at them sternly before speaking again. "You will be working alongside the Schnee's personal guards, as well as two group of hunstmen affiliated with the SDC."