Volume I - Chapter VII

She let out a sigh as she closed the book in her lap. Her gaze drifted around her room, luxurious but empty. Too empty, an emptiness that seemed to swallow up any peace and contentment within it.

Casting one last look at the faded lettering on the cover of "Queen of Snow", she put it back down into the drawer, placing it beside several other similarly aged books for those nights when sleep evades her and she desperately needs some form of distraction.

The overwhelming quiet felt oppressive, pushing down upon her with a weight that was too much to bear. She needed something, anything that could distract her from this moment.

It was then that a beep from her personal scroll on the bedside table broke through, startling her out of her wistful thoughts. With a shake of her head to clear it, she picked up the device just in time for another message notification to flash across its screen.

Opening it up, she saw that this one was coming from her father, accompanied with a simple order.

"Come to my office at once."

It was short and curt as always, no explanation or reason given, just a demand expecting immediate action and obedience solely because he is her father. Despite the irritation that bubbled up in her stomach, she knew better than to dawdle when it comes to him. Taking one last deep breath she got up from the bed and made her way out of the room.

The door hadn't even closed behind her before the bodyguard standing just outside stepped forward to announce her presence. She was tall and intimidating, her frame held upright in a rigidly professional manner as she fell into step with her as they walked toward father's office. As always, not a single word was spoken between them, the only sound in the hallway being their steps echoing through the empty space.

The walk was calming, if a bit uneventful as she skimmed through various activities within their airship while they made their way towards his office. Before long they arrived at his door, the two bodyguards standing stoically like two statues placed at the entrance. Stepping forward, she waited for one of them to announce her presence.

Knocking on the door, one of them spoke up in a strong but soft voice that held just a touch of deference to show their respect.

"Excuse me Sir, Lady Weiss has arrived."

"Let her in..." A gruff yet still familiar voice said from within.

She stopped and turned towards her bodyguard in a silent gesture indicating that she would take it from here. The bodyguard accepted her request with a simple nod, standing firm like an immovable structure as she stepped into her father's office without a single word being spoken between them.

Once inside, she stopped at the sight that greeted her. Her father was seated behind his desk as expected but there was someone else with him, someone whose face and features were hidden by a full-face mask with a glowing orange visor.

Choosing to ignore the other individual for the moment, she strode forward to where he was seated and greeted him in a polite and formal tone.

"Father..." She began, her voice steady and controlled. "I have answered your summons."

-----

"Father..." The heiress began, her voice steady and controlled. "I have answered your summons."

She felt the tension in the room thicken as Jacques leaned forward, meeting his daughter's gaze head-on.

"Weiss..." He said, his voice low and pleasant yet still packed with the implicit authority that governed every aspect of his life. "I hope that your accomodations have been satisfactory so far?"