Chapter 4.- Red, white and pink?!!!

Chapter 4. - Red, white and pink?!!!

Merlin was left to help the other servants carry the guest’s items up to the chambers. 'Why has Arthur all of a sudden forgotten Gwen? Just this morning he was arguing with his father about letting him out to go 'on a hunt.' And now he's just forgotten about her. I'll go and see her.' Merlin thought. He left the heavy bag he was trying to carry on the stairs and ran off towards the lower town.

He reached Gwen's house. He knocked on the door. "Gwen?" he called as he pushed the door open. She wasn't there. Her clothes that she was probably going to wear when she went to meet Arthur were still on her bed. "Gwen? Are you here?" he called again. No reply. 'I know! I'll go see if Morgana's seen her.' He left the house shutting the door behind him. He ran back to the citadel.

He ran up the stone steps and through the doors. He ran past the bags that he had left at the foot of the stairs. He kept running. He ran into one of the servants knocking them over. He scrambled to his feet and ran. "Hey!" the servant called to him.

"Sorry!" he yelled over his shoulder. He ran up the seven flights of stairs two at a time and came to a halt outside Morgana's chambers. He knocked loudly on the door. Gwen answered it. "Merlin. What are you doing here?" she asked.

"I came to find you." he said. He could see Morgana looking in their direction, to see who it was at the door.

"Merlin." she said. Merlin raised a hand in greeting. Then returned to his conversation with Gwen.

Gwen sensed that Merlin wanted to talk to her alone without Morgana over hearing so she stepped outside the room, shutting the door behind her. "What is it?" she asked. "I need to be quick. Morgana has to be ready in time for the signing of the peace treaty."

"Arthur. He was ready to meet you...." Merlin started but Gwen cut him off.

"I know. It was my fault. I forgot to find a maid for Morgana for today." Gwen said. "Tell him I'm sorry."

"No. Not only that." Merlin added. "Uther wouldn't let him go. Due to the fact that King Golau and Princess Tylluan of Solas an Iae were coming today for the peace treaty. Arthur totally forgot. He's sorry. He had a huge argument with his father about it this morning."

"That's very sweet of him." Gwen said, "He didn't say anything about....."

"No. No he didn't even mention you." Merlin hurriedly added. "He said he's sorry and that he'll make it up to you when the King and Princess of Solas an Iae have gone." Okay. He was just making that bit up. Arthur hadn't actually said anything. He had just forgotten about Gwen when the King of Solas an Iae had arrived. But Merlin had to say something to cheer her up. "I'll leave you to get Morgana ready." he said, then ran off.

Gwen smiled. So Arthur wasn't upset that she hadn't arrived. He hadn't been able to leave Camelot either. She had seen the King and Princess arrive from the window, with Morgana. She had felt only a little jealous when she had seen Princess Tylluan, she was beautiful and she had seen the way Arthur had looked at her. But he wouldn't forget about her? Would he? Gwen didn't know. The door opened behind her. "Gwen?" Morgana said. "What is it what's wrong?"

"Nothing my lady." Gwen replied, forcing a smile. 'I'm just being silly. Arthur wouldn't forget about me and him that quick.' she went back in the room to prepare Morgana's clothes.

"So it whether I wear this little tease." Morgana said, holding up a purple dress. "Or give them a night they'll really remember." she added holding up a red silk dress with a gold belt.

Merlin had gone back to prepare what Arthur was wearing. "Where the hell have you been?" Arthur asked angrily as Merlin opened the door.

"Been busy." Merlin muttered.

"Well. Hurry up. I have to get ready for the ceremony tonight." Arthur said, going behind the screen. He hung his shirt over the top of the screen and grabbed the white one that was hung over the top ready for him to wear. He came back out. "Merlin. What kind of impression do you think this gives?" Arthur asked, poking his thumb through the hole in his shirt sleeve.

"That we have moths." Merlin added. Arthur took the shirt off again and threw it at Merlin.

"What have we said about you trying to be funny?!" Arthur said.

"I shouldn't" Merlin added smirking.

Arthur nodded. "Fetch me another and get that one mended." he ordered. Merlin sighed and went over to the wardrobe. He saw something that made him smirk. He pulled out a pink shirt. It never used to be pink. It once was a white shirt. Obviously when he had last washed Arthur's shirts he had washed a white shirt and a red shirt together. He hung the pink shirt over the top of the screen. "How about this one?" he asked, struggling to keep the smile out of his voice. Arthur didn't even look at the color of the shirt he just put it over his head and then put his red jacket over the top. Merlin smirked.