Hot Chocolate

It had been a few weeks since the accident and Mother had been really stressed about a girl named Wednesday Addams. She was a psycho and apparently killed 2 kids. She was pretty annoyed and ended up locking herself in her office for a few days. So I decided to check up on her since I hadn't seen her for a few days. I knocked on the door. "Who is it?" Asked her soft voice. It had felt like forever since I've heard it. "Your favorite student!" I responded. "No idea," she called a bit annoyed. I opened the door. "Me!" I smiled at her. She smiled before red turning back to her paperwork. Not a real smile. A fake one. A stressed one. "Mother?" I asked. She hummed in response. "What's wrong?" I asked. "What do you mean?" She looked up for a few moments before looking back down. "You seem stressed," I said walking behind her. "I'm not," she lied. "Can you at least look at me?" I asked. She looked at me, then back at the papers. It was getting kind of annoying. "No. Really look at me. Smiled at me. You've been in your office all day, and then don't even talk to me, and then you go straight to your dorm!" I said with annoyance. She sighed, put her pen down, and looked at me. "Better?" She asked. I glared at her. She halfway smiled at me. It was my turn to sigh. I looked at her sadly. "Y/N, I don't have time for your childish games right now," she responded. "You don't have time for anything! Not even me!" I cried. She was taken back a bit. She was thinking about something but I couldn't tell what. "You're right. I'm sorry. How about we go to The Weathervane. Just you and me. Tomorrow?" She asked. I nodded. I turned to walk away. "Wait," she called. I turned back around towards her. "Y/N. You know that I love you right?" She asked. I nodded. "Good," she kissed my forehead and hugged me. "I will always make time for you, you just have to ask ok?" She said. I nodded and smiled. I hugged her again and left. As soon as I shut the door I heard her sit down and continue her paperwork. Of course. I headed back to my dorm and read for some time. "Come in," I called when I heard a knock on my door. My mother walked in looking a bit sad. "Ok. Well there was a little bit of confusion and I have to take Wednesday to her therapy tomorrow. "However we could go after her appointment?" She asked. "No. It's fine. You need all your attention on her to keep her from escaping," I said. I half smiled at her and opened my book again. She looked away from me for some time. "You know what, we'll go today," she said. I tilted my head, confused. "I'll be at the gates," she said leaving my room. I didn't realize she was serious so I quickly put on my shoes and ran after her. When I got there, she had the car running and ready to go. I got in next to her. "You want to go to the Weathervane, correct?" She asked. I smiled and nodded at her. We drove through the wooded path and into Jericho. There were missing posters of the guy who had stabbed me. I got flashbacks of the car crash and got uncomfortable. "What's wrong?" My mother asked, not taking her eyes off the road this time. "Just a little restless," I told her. She pulled into the parking lot and looked at me. "It's not going to happen again. I promise," she told me. "Which part?" I asked. "Both," she chuckled. I smiled at her. When we got inside, there were a group of cops inside. I'd had a few run-ins with cops. I hate them. The last time I was performing shapeshifting tricks, they put me in a prison cell. I looked down and walked closely to her. "We'll get two hot chocolates please," I smiled at the kid behind the counter. He was my age, maybe a bit older. I sat down across from my mother, but continued to stare at the cops. "Is something wrong?" She asked. "Cops," I muttered. "I know the sheriff. He won't lay a hand on you. And he knows what will happen if he does. Trust me," she said. "Do they arrest outcasts a lot?" I asked. She shook her head. "Only the ones who know when they're doing something wrong," she said. I nodded. The kid brought us two mugs of hot chocolate. It tasted so good. But not as good as the first time we came here. "This never gets old," I said. She laughed a little bit. "I can tell," she smiled at me. Her smile was much more friendly than Enid's mother. Is she still my mother? I don't how it works. One of the cops pointed to me and started saying something to the others. They walked up to us. "Can we help you?" My mother asked. I looked at them plainly, but the fear in my eyes was clear to my mother. "Is she Nevermore student?" One asked. She nodded. "She a shapeshifter?" He asked. My mother looked at me hesitantly before answering. "Yes. But why exactly does it matter?" She asked. I took my hand in hers, sure I was 16, but I never really felt a mothers love. It seemed childish, yes, but something made me feel safe around her. They all looked at my hand. "Is there something between you two?" The one on the left asked. We both shook our heads. "I just got scared that's all," I told them. I quickly let go of her hand. "Why would you be scared? Miss. Do you mind shapeshifting into a little girl?" He asked. I slowly shifted into one of the many forms I had taken when escaping jail cells. "Yep that's her," the girl said. I quickly turned back into myself. "What's going on?" I asked. "Your under arrest for escaping prison and for practice of magic," the guy in the middle said. "W-wait what?!" I asked. He took out handcuffs and reached for me. His hand grabbed my wrist tightly, so tight it left a bruise when he let go. "I would think again before you do that," my mother stood up calmly. He stopped and turned to her. "And why is that?" He growled. "Trust me. You do not want to know," her stare was deathly and cold. It scared me a little. The sheriff walked into the cafe. "What's going on here? I got a request for backup?" He said. He looked at me, then towards Mother. "Excuse me, Mrs. Weems what's going on?" He asked. "They are trying to arrest her for a crime she didn't commit," the officers glared at her. They explained the evidence they had and eventually the sheriff sided with them. The look on my mother's face was something beyond angry. As soon as the officer reached for me, she grabbed his hand and held it tightly. "I'm sorry, but my daughter is completely innocent," she said. They all looked at her in shock. He tried to take his hand away but couldn't. "Lay a finger on her and see what happens. Understood?" She let go of his hand calmly. "I think we should get back to the school. It's getting late, darling," she said. I nodded and quietly followed her out. I stayed silent the whole ride home. She kept going on about how it was impossible for them to assume that I was a criminal with little to no evidence. She took a deep breath and went quiet. "You ok?" I asked. "Yes. I'm fine. I just didn't want to annoy you," she said. "It's fine. Your not," I responded. "Are you ok?" She asked. I nodded looking at my bruised wrist. When we got to the school she stopped me before I got out. "What's wrong?" She asked. "Nothing it's fine," I told her. She put her hand on my wrist and I pulled it away quickly. "Y/N. Let me see," she said softly. I slowly showed her my wrist. She gasped and examined it. "I knew her grabbed you hand- but I didn't know- I...Go on to the nurse's. I'll speak with sheriff Galpin," she smiled at me but the anger from the cafe still hadn't left her eyes. I smiled back and headed to the nurse. That's Jericho for you. Most outcast-friendly town there is.