13 Enough Proof

Liana and I walked down the edge of the lake until we were out of earshot of Denise and her mate.

"Do you think it's going to be okay?" she asked, biting her lip.

"I've got a good feeling about him." My wolf still wasn't thrilled about leaving a pack member alone with a potential threat, but I was sure it would be fine. Denise would scream if there was a problem, and I could get back in a moment to help her, if something actually did go wrong.

It wouldn't go wrong though, at least not to the point of violence. Very few wolves could violate their own nature to the extent they would hurt their own mate. Denise likely couldn't be physically safer.

"Yeah. Me too. I hadn't met a rogue before, but he's not like what I heard."

I nodded. "She'll be fine."

We found a large space of clear flat rock and sat down on it. I pulled out my phone, looking over my schedule. If they took more than a few hours, I would have to interrupt them because we needed to get to our next destination and I didn't want Liana to have to drive through the night again. I was happy that Denise had found her second chance, especially after knowing what the beta had put her through, but it didn't change our core goals.

Liana lay back with her eyes shut, basking in the sunlight that filtered through the trees. It was a peaceful break from our busy journey, and it was good she was getting time to rest.

I began internet stalking some of the potential leads for champions to the sound of her relaxed breathing. It was a bit difficult to figure out their traits through social media, but there were things I could infer from the scant human-friendly information that was posted. If the cage match didn't pan out, we could hit a few of the packs of likely champions.

Pulling out a map, I began plotting the most efficient route.

My research was interrupted when Denise called our names. "Denise is calling," I told Liana, unsure if she would be able to hear.

Denise's voice wasn't urgent, so I tucked my phone away and waited for Liana to get up. She stretched when she stood up. "I hope everything is okay."

"We're about to find out."

A short walk later, we were nearly back at the campsite and Denise met us on the way, Andrew nowhere in sight. My anxiety rose at the puffiness around Denise's eyes, but then she smiled.

Relieved that it seemed that things were working out for her, I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Everything's good. He isn't holding anything against me."

"Oh, I'm so glad!" Liana said, beaming.

I nodded. I was happy for my friend because she was a decent person who had made some bad decisions, but more selfishly I couldn't wait to see the look on the beta's face when we went back to Huntstone with Denise's new mate in tow, and a rogue mate no less. Beta Nate loathed rogues. Alpha Hudson wouldn't have any reason not to allow him into the pack, unless he found out about my plan to challenge him and even then I would do my best to take all the responsibility. The beta would just have to endure a former rogue's presence. Served him right for everything he had done to Denise, and I'd enjoy it after the way he had dared call me a frigid bitch for turning him down, as if he had some right to any part of me.

Besides this being a good turn of events for Denise, it also really made our mate search look legitimate. No one would even think to question what we had been doing with him as cover. Next we would hopefully find Liana's. She was such an obvious romantic, based off her enthusiasm for Denise.

Denise paused, almost looking unsure of herself. "Do I have time to go meet Andrew's friends before we leave?"

I nodded. "We can spare a few hours. Liana and I can reorganize the car, while you go." It was another gamble, but I could trust Denise to make the right choice. "If you decide they're trustworthy, you can ask if they want to come along. It wouldn't hurt to be in a larger group at the match. And you'll have to figure out everything else between you and your mate."