2 Spiral of Resentment

Before I figured out how I was going to deal with Alpha Hudson, I needed to get home without anyone stopping me. Luckily, Saturday mornings were pretty lazy in Huntstone and I walked swiftly down the pavement as if I were heading to a very important appointment. A quick sniff at my own skin reminded me that I was saturated in his scent and made me want to go roll around in rotting garbage to obscure it.

An unwilling groan escaped from deep inside me. Even if I got home without being intercepted, half the pack would probably hear about my downfall by the end of the day. Plenty of gossipy people had been at that office party. Still, I didn't need them smelling the confirmation of how much I reeked of him with their own noses.

The worst part, the part that I would never, ever, ever admit to anyone, was that my time with the alpha had been really pleasurable. As much as he was a complete power-abusing womanizing imbecile, I had enjoyed what he had done to my body in the moment. Which only made his behaviour more frustrating, because maybe for one moment I'd had my hopes up that he wasn't going to be this awful this morning.

I sighed and resisted the urge to kick another stone down the street, but only to avoid drawing more attention to myself. My mood wasn't improving. It wasn't like I thought he was going to make me his chosen mate or anything insane like that. Even if he lost his mind and had wanted to, I definitely didn't want to be stuck with him. I couldn't picture years mated to someone looking back at me with that blank-yet-somehow-arrogant gaze whenever he didn't understand the simple things that came out of my mouth. It sounded like a nightmare.

Still, even though my hopes hadn't been high, some basic human decency would have been nice considering I wasn't even just some random wolf. I had been his administrative assistant for more than three years. I'd done so many things to make his life easier, with almost no appreciation. I would have thought he'd be civil based on our work relationship.

But apparently not. Even worse than his terrible personality, I just stupidly wasted my virginity on him.

My stomach tightened, but I shook off that horrible thought before it could make me feel completely terrible. There was no time to let regrets consume me. Sure, maybe I'd been waiting for my mate, and in one stupid night I'd ruined that by giving in to my animal urges, but I couldn't change that now. Hopefully, my mate would still accept me, since he had to be smart enough to understand it had been a mistake. Surely the moon goddess wasn't so cruel to pair me with someone as dumb as my alpha.

I sighed. Yes, my mate would get over it if and when I found him. I wasn't the first female to be swayed by that alpha magnetism. The bigger question was if I could forgive myself for falling for it. I wasn't sure about that. I felt so terribly foolish. But I was sure about one thing.

"Never again," I muttered as I stomped towards the large four story apartment style pack house where most of the single members of the pack lived. I didn't waste time in the entryway, but instead headed directly up to the sanctuary of the shower in my little apartment.

There wasn't enough water in the reservoir to wash the feel of scum off my skin, so I contented myself with cursing the alpha using every colourful phrase I could think of as I scrubbed every inch of my body. Every time I started to feel like a fool, I reminded myself of all the reasons I resented him, not only because of our one night stand, but also because of all the ways he made my life harder by taking my work for granted, and not living up to the responsibility of his position as our alpha. I long ago lost track of the times I had to scramble to cover for him and smooth things over to keep the pack running smoothly.

I only had to picture the privileged bastard with all his power, money, super hot body, and that attractive aura that I'd had so much trouble resisting to want to punch him in his obnoxious face.