Chapter 7

A few minutes later, I find myself drifting off to sleep. Until my mom called my name. She was continuously yelling my name and I was getting annoyed. So, I got up from my slumber and walked downstairs to the kitchen. Until I heard her yelling at someone. She was saying my name to them. I just thought it was my teacher again, so I ignored it. I was still mad at her for the whole teacher thing. My mom turned around in her chair and saw me. I bit into my apple and looked down and started to walk towards the stairs.

"Sadie!" My mom yelled into the phone and towards me. That's when I started to run up the stairs, as I drop my apple the way there. "I got to go, Mr.Young! This is not over!" She put the phone in her pocket.

She started running up the stairs and I found her right behind me. I turned my head and saw her eyes. They were bloodshot red. I first thought she was doing drugs to get her anger out... again.

She caught up with me and grabbed my shirt. She pulled on it, which started to chock me. I fell on the ground. I felt tears coming in the back of my eyes. I didn't know what to do. So I just looked at her.

"Sadie! Why are you mad at me!?" My mom said yelling. I'm sure the whole neighborhood could hear her. Then, I saw her phone in her pocket.

Mr. Young was still on the phone. He had been listening to us this whole time. I got up and grabbed it and said, "Help me, please! My mom has been doing drugs! I need you to call 911 and send them here!" Then I hung up. That's when I felt someone push me.

I fell. I was falling down my stairs. When I got to the bottom, I hit my head on the front door. I had my eyes open for a little bit. Until I felt something sharp hit my stomach. My mouth was wide open. I could hear myself screaming. That's when I felt that sharp pain in my stomach again. Then again. Then again. Once it was over, I realized that my hand was in front of my stomach.

That's when I heard the front door open. It was the police. I could hear my teacher. He was telling me something, I couldn't quite understand it. My eyes were getting weaker. I saw my mom. She was yelling at me. I looked at my hands. They were bleeding. I saw my arms, they looked like they had been cut. They were also bleeding.

I looked up at my mom. She was being held back by the police. She was so mad. I felt her kick my face. Then, everything turned black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes opened. I was in a room. I've been in here before. I was in here when my father died. I then knew where I was. I was looking up at the ceiling. I heard someone talking. Then I heard someone else. It was a girl. I could hear exactly what they were talking about.

"The police officer said that her mother was a drug addict." The girl said.

"The teacher, I guess, said that her mom was abusing her." The guy said.

"I heard that she's all alone now. I guess her mom was having an affair with her teacher." The girl said.

MY MOM WAS HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH MY TEACHER!? I couldn't believe this. I can't believe my mom would do this to me. I felt the tears coming.

"I guess she's on her own. She's gonna be a foster child now." The guy said.

"What happened to her mom?" The girl said.

"She went to jail and she was pregnant. When she was abusing her daughter, her water broke. She was taken here and she was sent straight to jail. She didn't even see her baby." The guy again.

I started crying, loud this time. I got up and started walking towards the door. Until I felt hands on my arms. They sting so bad. I kept fighting until I felt something go into my arm. Then my eyes closed again.

I woke up. I remember what happened. I remember everything. My mom. My dad. My mom abusing me. My mom having an affair with my teacher. My mom pregnant. I remember trying to run out of the room.

My hands were handcuffed to the bed I was laying in. I started to try and make them become loose. Until I saw someone walk into the room. It was Chase.

"Chase?" I whispered. I tried to hug him, but then I looked down and saw the handcuffs. He looked down and saw them too. He leaned down and hugged me.

"Hey. Are you okay?" Chase asked.

I started crying. I was crying my eyes out. I felt so embarrassed. Chase tried to calm me down. "It's okay. Shh. It's okay."

"My mom was having an affair with, Mr. Young! Her water broke while she was abusing me! I have nowhere to go!" I said in between sniffles.

"Hey, don't worry! Remember, you still have my family. We just won't be brother and sister." Chase said, rubbing patterns on my arm.

"What about all my stuff? And Zeus? And my-"

"You guys can all come and live with me and my mom. She'll sign all the papers." Chase interrupted me.

I looked down. "I can't believe my mom did drugs while being pregnant with my brother/sister," I said, tears were streaming down my cheeks.

"We found out what the gender was," Chase said grabbing my hand. "It's a boy," Chase said.

I looked up at him. I was so happy. I started crying. "Can I see him?" I asked.

"Yeah," Chase said. He pulled out a key and unlocked the handcuffs.

"They gave you the keys?"

"Yeah. They thought I was your boyfriend." Chase said.

I looked at him. My eyes were filled with tears.

We walked out of my room and we went to the baby room. I didn't know which baby it was so I let Chase take the lead.

He walked up to the desk to were an old woman had been sitting. "Excuse me? Do you know where the baby that was just born, with the drug mother, went?" Chase asked. So specific.

"Yes. He's over there in the corner." The lady said.

"Thank you!" Chase said back. He grabbed my hand and started to pull me towards the baby. His name was Josh. He was so cute! He looked nothing like my mom. That's good. I could see Mr. Young in him though. "Wait!" I said.

"What is it?" Chase asked. "Do you not want to live with us?" He had a concerned look on his face.

"I can't," I said in a whisper.

"Why not?" Chase asked.

"If my mom and Mr. Young had... You know what... Then that means-"

"Mr. Young is your step dad...." Chase said, looking up at me with a sad look on his face.

"That means... I have to go and live with him until my mom gets out of jail." I told Chase. He tilted his head and had a sad expression. I couldn't look into his eyes anymore, so I looked down at my little brother.

Why did Mr. Young have to be my stepdad? Can I just live by myself? Should I go live with him or go live with Chase?