018

◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

🏁 018: THE UGLY AND THE BEAUTIFUL 🏁

FEBRUARY 19, 2000
10:29 P.M.
DAEGU, SOUTH KOREA

◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣◥◣

"NO, NAOMI. I'M NOT GONNA SAY IT AGAIN."

Naomi sat on the couch, her arms crossed snuggly over her chest. Freshly 17 and an even fresher attitude that Yoongi had to deal with. This is what he gets for spoiling her all her life, now she's learned that she will get everything she wants, knows that Yoongi will make it happen one way or another. That's why she's pouting at him the way she is, huffing and puffing like it'll get her anywhere.

She's not going to move him on this one. This was non-negotiable.

Naomi's been wanting to race, "earn her own keep" she said. Yoongi had turned down the prospect as soon as it left her lips with firm and unmoving solidity. He says no to her often but oh-so-easily could that no turn into an acquiescent "fine". More often than not Naomi could count on him to cave in on her whims with a few pleading looks and a bit of ass-kissing. If that didn't work, longing sighs and silent treatment would get him.

"Why not? I'm damn near an adult now and I still don't know how to drive because of your irrational fear!"

Yoongi didn't realize raising a teenager would be this damn difficult. When they were younger, no meant no and she took it as such with little complaint. Now, everything is up to negotiation to her. The older she gets, the more combative and rebellious she seems to grow. It was starting to piss Yoongi the fuck off. "But you're not an adult, are you? Last I checked I'm the fuckin' adult here, Naomi. My fear isn't irrational. Do you know how many people I've watched die because of his shit? I'd lose my fucking shit if anything happened to you!"

The thought terrified him. Nightmares of such a scenario plagued him at night; have him waking up in a cold sweat. He'd get up, grab a glass of water and go to check on Naomi. He'd always find her tucked into bed, sleeping soundly without a care. He'd do anything to ensure everything stays that way.

"You haven't died!" Naomi stood from the couch as if that proved her point, as if she caught him in some loophole he couldn't refute. She never feared whether Yoongi would come strolling through the front door in the early hours of the morning, tossing a thick stack of cash down on the coffee table before falling onto the couch beside her to watch whatever she had playing or not. She always counted on him to pat her head and tell her to make him a bowl of cereal or he'd put her in a headlock.

Yoongi was invincible to her, immortal even. He'd live forever.

Yoongi ran his fingers through his hair with a stressful sigh. She was just a kid, didn't really understand how fucking dangerous all this shit was. Driving 1 ton, steel death traps at high speeds aside, the seedy underworld he found himself entering every night; he wanted her as far away from all of it as possible. The world is a dangerous fucking place and the only reason she's being so dense is because Yoongi's done well enough to protect her from it. There are people out there who wouldn't hesitate to stab her in the back given the opportunity and his sole job in life is to make sure he takes that knife for her.