It was the little reminders that they were there, and comfortable enough to be grumpy, sad, happy, angry, and full of giggles in his house and in front of his parents. Never in his entire friendship with either of them had he seen them so carefree. Despite the fact a war was raging they still somehow seemed better off.

Which only made James more worried about what was going on in their houses before they escaped.
_________________

"Where's Aveline?" Peter asked as James and Sirius flopped down in their compartment, taking up as much as space as they humanly could.

Remus was already there as well, in his usual corner. The vibe was different on the platform that day, a sense of excitement, nostalgia and more as they realized this was their last September 1st. The now seventh years watching the squeeky first years in awe, wondering if they actually were ever that small.

"Not sure maybe the bathroom. Ran off as soon as we stepped foot on the train," Sirius answered, running a hand through his hair.

"Prongs don't take this offensively mate, but why do you look like one of Evan Rosier's little bitch boys?" Peter asked innocently, taking in his James look.

He shrugged nonchalantly as if it was no big deal. Stretching his arm with a smirk and placing it on the seat behind him.

"Head boy duties Pete. Besides, the ladies eat it up," James explained winking as he said it.

Peter nodded with a bit of a shrug as he said it. There was no denying James already had girls falling to the floor around him. Him in a suit, was causing a whole new level of flurry already amongst the man loving population at Hogwarts.

In fact, the train hadn't even left yet and already there were groups of giggling girls and boys walking past the compartment just to get a look at James Potter in his handsome Head boy get up. When this happened he would wave and wink like he was some sort of prince, and their faces would turn bright red and they'd rush off in a flurry of intense giggles.

The door flung open, and in walked a very pissed off, Aveline Rosier. Slamming it as a group of second year girls were standing behind her trying to get James to notice them. With an angry flick of her wand she drew the curtains.

"Merlin James tone it down! A woman can't even take a piss without having a whole crowd of second years knocking on my stall trying to convince me to introduce them to you!" she complained with a shake of her head. "Ridiculous!"

Everyone was bursting out into a fit of laughter over this. All except Remus Lupin, who couldn't get over the way her tan bare legs looked in the skirt, the eyeliner lining her eyes, the current style of her hair— and really just everything about her. She looked effortlessly cool as she ran a hand through her hair, flopping down in between Remus and Peter in her usual spot.

For those who didn't know Aveline, they might think she was more grumpy lately. Though all her friends knew that this was just Aveline. And not the version of herself that she forced to be super sweet and nice as to distance herself as much as she could from the Rosier's.

She was growing into herself. She was growing into her personality, and finally feeling more free to simply be Aveline. The version of herself she actually was, and not who she felt she had to be. It was no longer as scary for her to be a Rosier, for the first time in her life she felt as she worth more then just her last name.

"What can I say," James sighed with a smile. "The ladies love me."

"Yeah all ladies except the one you want," Sirius muttered, and James promptly smacked him on the back of the head like a dog.