Chapter 13

Shay and Gabby, two inseparable friends and colleagues at Firehouse 51, sat on the bench across the street of the firehouse, enjoying the warmth of a rare quiet summer afternoon. As they sipped on their cold beverages, one of them couldn't help but think about what happened earlier that day between a certain woman named Renee and their friend and coworker, Kelly Severide. The latter rescued her with his team earlier that day. She followed him at work and even offered him something. Gabby wasn't surprised by this since women seemed to follow Kelly Severide like a pidepiper, and the man never refused them either. Today, however the unthinkable happened, she witnessed Severide politely decline the woman and her present. She was stunned where she stood as she watched the lady leave disappointed, and Kelly returned to the squad's table unburdened. she noted that his teammates were equally suprised and when she turned to voice her surprise to Shay, she looked perfectly fine, there was no traces of surprise on her face, as if what just occurred was normalDidn't she see what happened? What is going on here?  

                  Flashback 

It all started when Severide and his team had come to the rescue of a woman involved in a minor car accident. They managed to rescue her without many complications. It was Kelly who helped the woman out of the car, and in that moment, a spark had ignited in her eyes, and she had become infatuated with the handsome firefighter. Little did she know, she had arrived too late, Severide's heart was already spoken for.

Renee walked through firehouse 51's  doors, just a few hours after her car accident. The accident wasn't that grave, and the firefighters got her out of there quickly. The firefighter who helped her out of the car instantly caught her eyes. He was simply gorgeous, and she, being a woman who liked a challenge, had decided to try her luck. That man appeared to be worthy of  an effort. So, here goes nothing!

" Ma'am, may i help you? " Renee quickly turned around as she recognised his voice. There he was, looking more gorgeous without all the firefighter's gear.

" Hi! do you remember me ? " It hadn't been that long for him to forget about her, right?

" Oh! of course, the lady in the car. I remember you miss... " Kelly smiled politely at the lady. Maybe she was here to give his team some kind of gift for saving her. Or she is here because you still managed to charme her even in the face of death!  he immediately shot that idia down, hoping that it wasn't the case. 

" Renee, just Renee is fine. " Kelly nodded in acknowledgement, and she continued, " I brought something for you. " She presented her gift to him with a smile, happy that all was progressing well. While Kelly was thanking his lucky star that it was what he was hoping. Just a gift. 

Kelly was about to take the package when Renee proceeded, " And i would really like to see you again sometime if it's ok. " Kelly's smile froze. Of course, this couldn't have gone his way. It had to end the only way he was dreading. Thanks to the lucky star indeed!  Jay was surely going to tease him for a while.
Then he noticed the not-so-subtle audience around them. He had to handle this correctly.

" Hmm... Renee, i admire your fowardness, but it is a well-known fact that some women tend to experience an attraction for their rescuers, and that said attraction disappeares after a little while. So, it will not be wise to go that route. " Renee was quite surprise by that answer because she thought that all was going smutly. It seemed like she was dealing with the rules-abiding kind here, but a little bit of insistance could do no wrong.

"  I can assure you that this is not the case for me. There is something about you that drew me the moment i saw you.  I would like us to go on a few dates, to get to know each other and eventually start something special. "
Kelly understood he was facing a sincere woman who would surely not give up unless he told her the truth.

" Renee, i'm immensely flattered that you view me in such a positive light. I will be honest with you. You're a stuning woman, and i'm sure that you're as outstanding as you're beautiful. I would have given this a shot had i met you sooner. " And just like that, Renee knew. Of course, he has someone. Frankly, how can a men like him be single unless it was self-imposed.    

" You're already taken. " She said, smiling sadly.

" I am. "

" May i know what you meant by ' I would have given this a shot had i met you sooner. ' ? "

" I met my love a little over a month ago. " Kelly proudly said, and Renee knew she had no chance because this man was whipped. At least i tried.

 " I understand. Can you please accept my gift as a consolation for me? " They both laughed a little, and Kelly took the package.

" I'll be going now...Thank you Kelly. I hope to see you aroud. "

" Thank you, Renee. And i you. "

Renee exited the firehouse, and Kelly went back at the squad's table. Meanwhile, Kelly's team were exchanging glaces at each other after witnessing their lieutenant turn someone down, Gabby was processing what just happened, and Shay was trying not to smile.

                                                                                       Flashback 

" Were you trying not to smile when that episode happened between Kelly and that woman? Do you know something? Can you tell me about it? Am I allowed to know, or is it private? " Gabby literally bombarded Shay with questions after realising that her friend probably knew something. 

Shay knew she hadn't been totally successful in trying not to smile. The others didn't notice anything, but Gabby did.
Kelly already told her that Jay and him were not keeping their relationship secret. Although they were not going to proclaim that they were a couple now, they also did not care who may find out about them. Jay's brother was the only person they were worried about, but Kelly told her that it went very well. So, considering all that, she could freely tell Gabby what was going on.

" Ok! calme down. I'm about to tell you what it is, but you have to control your reactions. "

" Not even a soud, promised!...Wait! Is it that big of a news "  

" Absolutely! So brace yourself. " Gabby nodded eagerly.

" Kelly is dating........Jay Halstead. " Shay saw her friend's eyes widen as she was like petrified. This news was so unexpected that it was catching everyone off guard.

" Kelly Severide......as in our lieutenant? " The lady's man, the one who women were drawned to like a moth to a flame. He is dating a man?! 

" He's dating a man! as in Jay Halstead, my brother's teammate.............how the hell did this happen? " 

" Love at first sight at Molly's." Shay smiled when friend's eyes doubled in size again.

" Wait a minute, love?! Is it already that serieus? Kelly Severide, the eternal bachelor, is actually in a serious relationship now with a man?  " Gabby was absolutely floored.

" Yes. It's already that serieus. I know it's hard to believe. But I've seen it with my own eyes. He's head over heels for this guy, and let me tell you, as someone who has been in the same room as the two of them, the level of sweetness of romance is absolutely nauseating. "

" Wow! That bad?! "

" Totally. They're already at the stage of unconscious PDA, like the we have been together all our lives PDA. They will surely make you feel single. " 

" Who could have seen this coming? "

" Oh! no one could have predicted this. And i was starting to think that the woman who could make Kelly Severide settle down didn't exist. Turns out, it's a man. "

" Isn't this the biggest plot twist of them all? "

" Indeen. "  

Gabby chuckled softly. "Well, good for him. Maybe Jay Halstead is the one who can finally tame  Severide," she mused.

Shay nodded in agreement. "Who knows, Gabby. Love works in mysterious ways, and I have a feeling that Severide and Jay's relationship is only just beginning. But one thing's for sure, Severide has never looked happier," she said with a satisfied smile, knowing that her friend had found true love at last.