Chapter 9

There was a peaceful and fun ambience at the table in the back. The occupants of the table were like in a world of their own, absorbed in their conversation, entranced by the other.
The excellent food and the exquisite wine were further contributing to the good time they were having.

" So, what's the story behind 'I know the chef' ?" Jay asked after taking a sip of his wine.

Kelly laughed a little before replying,
" Well, we were called here when this place was getting renovated. Something went wrong with the electric system and some workers were trapped inside. We managed to get them out safely but they kept saying that the chef was still inside. Turns out that he went to inspect the winery they were building in the basement. We didn't have enough time and we couldn't reach him so, I went back in to get him. It wasn't easy since the all place was like a maze but I found him. He was unconscious with a broken leg. He electrocuted himself a little after touching the door when he was coming back up and he fell pretty hard. We got out of there. Luckily, he recovered fully, he cooked for us the all time he was off work and I became his favourite that's why he can't say no to me." Kelly said, smiling brightly.

" A lifesaving story as I expected. It very gratifying when people whose lives you've saved or taken part in saving show a little bit of gratitude." Jay said, smiling softly.

" Yes! No matter how small. It means a lot, it does reaffirm the faith in the work we do." 
Jay nodded and Kelly was glad that they thought the same.

The waitress brought their desserts shortly after, silently fangirling over the 'super power couple'. They thanked her and went back into their own world.

" Mhm! It's really good!" Kelly exclaimed after tasting his ice cream.

" here, try some" he said, giving him a spoon full of ice cream.

" It's good but mine tastes better." Jay replied teasingly after tasting his. " And I won't share."

" How ungrateful! I arranged all this for you and you won't even share your ice cream with me." Kelly said in fake offence causing the man across from him to laugh.

" Ok, here you go." Jay said, extending his spoon to him. " isn't it better than yours?"

" Alright, babe. I'll give you that." Kelly replied conceding. And he smiled seeing the pink on Jay's cheeks.

" Stop smiling like that."

" Like what?"

" Like you're doing it on purpose."

" Of course I am! making you blush is quickly becoming one of my favourite things." 

Kelly said, squeezing Jay's hand in his and they both smiled brightly.
" We can drive around after we're done here." Jay said and Kelly nodded.

They stayed in the restaurant for a while, savouring their ice creams and bickering like an old married couple,
Before asking for the check which started another bickering episode since Jay wanted to split the bill and Kelly wasn't having any of it. After much convincing from Kelly, arguing that he was the one who asked him on a date, Jay finally agreed, promising that the next date would be on him. They left hand in hand after paying and took the car for a drive around town.

After driving around for a while with no particular destination, they found themselves near lake Michigan. The atmosphere was peaceful with all the lights along the lake and it wasn't crowded at night. So hand in hand, they walked along the street for a moment till they stopped to sit on a bench.

And Kelly deemed this a favourable moment to express his feelings. Even if it has only been days since they properly met each other, He didn't want to wait to tell him how he felt. He knew that he loved him and seeing how these past days with Jay went, he had great hopes that he felt the same way. So Kelly tightened his grip on Jay's hand, causing the latter to look at their joined hands and him, and he began after taking a deep breath.

" Don't freak out on me or run away either after I tell you this. Please!"

He paused a little, taking another deep breath and Jay squeezed his hand, reassuring him to continue.

" That day at Molly's, the first time I saw you, something changed in my life. I was lost after everything that happened with my fiancée at the time, I haven't been in a serious relationship since then and I have even become known for that. Kelly Severide de lady's man. But even with a history like that, I dare to ask you to be my boyfriend. I promise to give my all so that what we have can work and last because I love you. As crazy as it sounds, I have loved you since the moment you first smiled at me."

A sigh of relief left him as Jay smiled at him like that day. Jay closed the tiny space between them and kissed him. First tenderly, then passionately, trying to communicate all the love that he could with a kiss for he loved him too.
They pulled away breathless, foreheads pressed together and Jay spoke after a while.

" I love you too. Since that first day when you looked me in the eyes. It was love at first sight which, I can assure you, has never crossed my mind even one bit." Jay said smiling brightly.

" I thought it was the rarest thing ever, that it only happened once in a thousand years." Kelly replied with a permanent smile.

" We are together from now on. I know it hasn't been long but I trust you. I trust that you'll give your all for us despite your past or your reputation. You already know the tough times I experienced after the military. So, I'm asking you to trust me too. Trust that I won't let the ghosts of the past ruin what we have." Jay said, both reassuring and promising.

" I trust you with my life. I love you so much." Kelly replied, kissing him all over his face, making Jay laugh softly.

" You're still staying with me tonight right?" Jay asked, looking him in the eyes.

" Of course! I don't think I can leave you tonight, if not ever." Kelly said, and they hugged each other tightly.

To say the two men were happy would be a huge understatement. They were living one of the happiest moments of their lives and they silently promised themselves to do everything in their power to keep it that way for as long as they lived and to bring hell to anyone who will try to mess with what they had.

Meanwhile, just further behind the new couple on the bench, a young woman was standing there and what she saw made her feel like she got struck by lightning. Nicki Rutkowski wasn't prepared to see something like this today. She just had dinner with her friends, she was going back to her car when she saw what in her eyes was impossible.

She saw Kelly Severide, the guy she has had her eyes on since she arrived at the firehouse, walking the street with some guy. She was going to call his name but paused when she noticed their intertwined hands. What?... Is he?.... What?
Her suspicions were confirmed when she saw how they were looking at each other, the way they were talking to each other, and the nonexistent space between them as they sat on the bench hands glued together.
What the hell? A man? Kelly Severide?
She couldn't believe it because she was aware of his long list of female conquests. Then she saw them kiss, hug and act in love to her great displeasure.
It's a nightmare! This can't be real! Not him!
She found the strength to move her legs only when she couldn't take it anymore and bolted to her car. With tears streaming down her face, she promised to not give him up and she didn't give a fuck that she was already someone else's fiancée.