fourteen - the big day

Comenzar desde el principio

"Good. Will you take the-"

"All sorted." Hunt assures him, patting his arm. He heads back through the doors again as Jackson exhales slowly.

MJ smiles. "See? Everything turned out a-okay."

Jackson smiles. "I can't let you into recovery as you're not family and I'm currently acting as her partner, not a doctor here-"

"Don't sweat it. Just send her my love and tell her I'll by tomorrow." She shakes her head.

Jackson smiles and grabs the flowers, heading towards the recovery ward. Just as he gets there, he sees them wheeling Mae out. She's still asleep, tucked up under the blankets, but she looks calm and relaxed. As soon as the beds parked up, he takes her hand and kisses it. "Right here." He whispers.

-

"Okay, give these a try." Link says as he adjusts the crutch's heights, holding them out.

Mae scowls deeply as she sits on the edge of the bed. "It's not even been 24 hours, let me rest."

"Getting up and about as soon possible encourages the best recovery." Link smirks smugly.

Jackson rubs her back. "You can do it baby."

She sighs and mentally prepares, beginning to stand. Her jaw clenches as she frowns deeply, pain radiating down her leg. She let's out a shaky breath, squeaking a little. Jacksons hands hold her waist for support and Link holds her arms gently to help from the front.

"You're okay, you're good. Almost there - this is the worst part but you almost got it." Link encourages.

Mae feels her eyes water as she takes a deep breath and manages to balance with the crutches, Link smiling wide. "I-i so wanna slap that smile o-off your face." She mutters.

"You can try if you'd like." He says cockily, stepping back.

Jackson let's go of her waist and walks around to stand by her. "You did it." He smiles wide.

She blushes gently. "Gonna hit you too."

He smiles. "Catch me if you can. Cmon." He takes a few steps back.

She tries to take a few steps, gripping the crutches so tight her hands hurt. She manages a few steps, growling in frustration at how tough it is. Her thigh is wrapped from hip to knee in bandages, at least 40 stitches underneath that go down her thigh. Then in her muscles has to be dozens more. Her body is protesting but, like Link said (the smug bastard), moving as soon as possible is best.

Jackson smiles wide as she slowly makes progress. "Good job. You'll be running after me before we know it."

"I'm-I'm done." She shakes her head.

Jackson kisses her head and holds her waist as Link takes the crutches. "That's okay, we'll try again later." He kisses her head again as he helps her the few steps back to bed.

She winces as she settles back. "Let me see it now?" Jackson smiles and goes to her bag, grabbing the pot. He brings it over and she takes it, examining it. "Damn." She whispers, opening the pot and tipping the bullet onto her hand. She rolls it between her fingers.

"It's hard to believe that's caused so much trouble yet it's so small." Jackson muses.

"Right." She mumbles, too focused on it. Its so small. Well, not small for a bullet but she expected... more. This thing ruined her life for almost 2 years? Jesus. Damn.

"Whats on your mind?" He asks gently. He expects her to brush him off.

She takes a deep breath as she screws the lid back on. "That's the last thing tying me to the army." She sets it on the tray table and stares at it.

Jackson's heart leaps a little as she opens up - just a little. Not the biggest revelation but she's been honest. "You're free, huh." He squeezes her hand.

She grips it and looks at him, smiling tiredly. "I'm free." She whispers emotionally.

Jackson kisses her head as he smiles, a soft sob escaping her lips. "Oh baby." He coos. "You're okay."

"I know." She whispers, hiccuping. "I just feel... overwhelmed."

"You're on a lot of pain meds, antibiotics and you probably still have the anaesthetic in your system. You're gonna be all over the place for a while." He sympathises.

"Shut up, I'm not weak." She sniffles, joking around.

"Never." He smiles, tucking her hair back. "Strongest girl I know."

She looks up at him as she rests her head back. "You still okay with me... with me temporarily moving in?"

"Of course." He shrugs. "The bed will be freshly made for when you come home and I'm going to make your favourite dinner."

She smiles a little. "The couch is fine-"

"Absolutely not." He rolls his eyes. They've had this argument for days. "You're staying in with me as you are my girlfriend. I couldn't care if you have to sleep awkwardly, if you wake up, if you fidget in pain. We are not sleeping separate. Got it?" He raises an eyebrow.

She smirks, blushing a bit. "Yes sir."

"Damn right." He smirks and kisses her again.

"Get a room."

Mae giggles as Jackson rolls his eyes, straightening up as MJ and Bentley walk in. Bentley is looking well, but still on crutches. "We have one." He smirks.

Bentley smiles. "How you doing, fellow hobbler?"

"She managed like 5 steps, I'm proud." Jackson smiles.

Mae rolls her eyes. "5 steps, big fucking whoop." She mutters and scowls.

Bentley smiles as he sits down, MJ standing beside him. "5 more than you could do a couple hours ago, right? It's a win."

Mae smiles small. "How are yall doing?" She asks in a small voice.

MJ smiles as she holds his shoulder gently. "We're good. We got you a gift."

Mae takes the small gift back MJ hands her. "I'm not dying, don't celebrate yet." She jokes.

MJ rolls her eyes and watches her friend open the gift. Mae pulls the tee out and unfolds it, a gasp leaving her lips as she reads it. "Seriously? Michelle, don't you dare mess with me-"

"Auntie Mae sounds good doesn't it?" MJ smiles.

Jackson's eyebrows raise and he smiles wide. "Congratulations!"

Mae cries a little and clutches the soft grey tee that says 'fairy godmother' on it. That's what she always joked she'd be. "Get over here!"

MJ rushes over and hugs her tightly, sniffling a little. "Will you be it? Godmom?"

"Yes. God yes!" Mae cries.

Bentley rolls his eyes at Jackson who smirks. "You got 9 months of tears here buddy." He warns.

"Only 9?" Bentley jokes. "I've had 9 years of it already."