Beneath the Clouds

Sighing heavily, you stared at the glaringly white ceiling of your infirmary room. You had been confined to the room for what felt like ages but in reality you had only been there three days since you awoke from your coma. However, including the time you were passed out, you had been there for seven.

It was only a week but you were growing tired of being confined to one room. You understood that the medical nin just wanted to make sure you made a full recovery but you were growing restless. Thankfully, the medical nin said you would be released this afternoon.

While this was exciting news it was only 10:00 am so you still had to wait a while before you could leave.
Sighing loudly at this you glanced to your room's door as a knock sounded on it.

"Come in" You chimed, expecting somebody to open the door but it never opened.

Raising an eyebrow at this, you sat up in your bed. Your abdomen twinged in pain from the movement but you simply ignored it. The medical nin had already healed your wound shut but they said it may hurt off and on for a few days so the pain wasn't concerning.

Standing up from your bed, you quietly made your way to the door and swung it open with a perplexed look on your face. Behind the door was Shikamaru, his eyes were widened and his mouth was slightly open as a look of surprise overcame his face.

As the two of you made eye contact, Shikamaru quickly averted his gaze elsewhere. Frowning at this, you watched as the dark haired male took an awkward step away from you.

"Uh sorry...I-I...man I don't even know what to say...what a pain..." Shikamaru sighed in frustration as he rubbed the back of his neck while looking off to the side.

Growing slightly irritated by the male's behavior you felt a frown begin to form on your face. Ever since you explained your past to everyone Shikamaru had hardly spoken to you. He only came by the hospital to visit you with Choji and even then he would barely say anything you. It made you feel like you had done something wrong.

"Did I do something wrong...or does this have to do with my past?" You slowly questioned.

Glancing towards you, Shikamaru's dark eyes briefly connected with yours before moving back to the ground. You really hoped you hadn't done something to upset Shikamaru but honestly you would rather him be upset about something you had done rather than your past. You cared about Shikamaru and didn't want to lose your friendship with him but his silence spoke volumes.

'He doesn't believe me about my past...'You solemnly thought, a sinking feeling suddenly overcoming you. The mere thought coupled with his silence made your chest tighten and you began to turn back towards your hospital room.

"H-hey wait!" Shikamaru quickly spoke up, as one of his hands gently grabbed your arm in an attempt to stop you.

You let him stop you but you did not turn back towards him. There were tears beginning to form in your eyes and you didn't want him to see. You were tired of people seeing you cry. It made you feel vulnerable and helpless.

"(YN)...you did nothing wrong. I'm the one in the wrong... After the arena, I was so confused. I didn't know what to believe. I doubted you and couldn't face you after realizing how horrible of a friend that made me... I'm sorry."

You blinked back your tears in confusion at his apology. You honestly weren't expecting that, you had thought that his odd behavior was because of your past but in reality it was just him feeling guilty.

Slowly turning back around you faced Shikamaru. This time he wasn't looking at the ground. Instead, his dark eyes were trained upon you. In his eyes you saw a mixture of guilt and sincerity.