thirty-four

Ella

"So..." Charles says as soon as I make it back to the kitchen, holding Soleil on my right hip.

This might be the stupidest idea Harry ever had. Inviting the guy I used to date to spend the day with me and his daughter? Reckless and stupid.

"Look, I know you have better things to do so if you want to, you can go. Or I can go upstairs while you're here downstairs. Anything works for me." I say seriously. I know there's no way that he agreed to come here on his own. Harry is his boss. He must have ordered him to come here.

No sane man would agree to spend a day alone with the girl he likes. Or liked.

"I'm not leaving. And I would feel better if I knew you were with me." His green eyes bore into mine, adding to the seriousness of his words.

Maybe he does want to be here. Maybe he's insane after all.

"I don't want you to feel awkward." I feel enough guilt about how my short-term relationship with Charles ended. I hooked up with his boss, promised him that it was just a one-night stand and then moved in with his boss and started dating him.

I wouldn't want to be in the same room with me either.

"I don't. I missed you. We used to talk often at the café. I haven't heard from you for months now." His eyes show vulnerability that makes my heart flutter.

Before this whole snake drama happened, I used to see Charles every morning for his morning break when he came to drink his coffee and have a croissant or a bagel.

We started off as friends, chatting about anything and everything and when he felt more comfortable, he started flirting a little bit, complimenting my outfits, my hair or even the doodles I was drawing on his receipt whenever I was bored. He insisted on keeping the receipts every time I drew something on them.

He asked me on a date one day and I said yes without hesitation. I was enjoying his company so a date sounded like a good idea.

It's strange to think about how differently things turned out. As much as I like Charles and know that he's a gentleman, my feelings for Harry are beginning to get deeper and deeper with each day.

He's overprotective that's for sure, but only because he wants to keep us safe. We're really the only people he has who he actually trusts and cares about.

One night after he fell asleep with Soleil in front of the TV, I sat in the kitchen with Zayn while drinking hot chocolate and he told me how he's never seen Harry this out of his element. He was always the quiet, aggressive kid who wouldn't open up to anyone. He's never said those three little words to anyone, not even Nick who he claims is his father.

He's been saying I love you to Soleil often. Every morning, every night, every time he leaves. It's so innocent and sweet, it makes me tear up every time I hear it. Soleil means so much to him.

But Zayn also said that he's never acted this way around a woman. He never considered settling down and having a family. Now, he calls us his little family. Zayn, Soleil, me, and him.

Soleil changed the way he views things for the better. I know Harry felt lonely ever since he was a child. Being in foster care for that long, and then losing the only father figure he ever had must have been tough on him.