Prologue

"I wanted to let you know that I liked you."

~

Calling to me were the golden hues.

It was time I confessed my blue truth.

They say truth is something only lights choose.

Yet the night's truth doubles as bravery too.

Cold were my hands as it shivered from the classroom I just left from, but I didn't mind. It was everyday. That's when the sun finally hit my skin after setting just enough for it's rays to breach the school's ledges where I sat. Leaves so marigold would flutter down and land beside the ledge as I watched and pondered. November skies were more mellow and yellow than other times of the year, making the light that hit my skin merely warm, but something about it made my hands settle down. It wasn't the first time, nor the last, but I suddenly felt appreciative of its celestial effect.

The way the sunlight melted the translucent frost that would permeate my skin always left me feeling vulnerable, yet... comforted. People were rushing to leave school at this point, with every shuffle and skirmish occurring in pursuit of leaving campus. I could hardly recognize anyone in the sea of crowd that flooded out the school gates, every foot practically begging to be stepped on and every student groaning from every push and shove imaginable. In the kerfuffle, I immediately recognized the paint-stained tan shirt that wandered every corridor I walked in.

"Silas Wright," I called.

I didn't even need to shout, for he instantly turned his head around to what basically was a vomitory that students were trying to escape from, his mates not noticing their friend had froze trying to scan with his ears, trying to locate where his name was being shouted from. His eyes would shine bright yellow with every turn he made to the sun. I left my sunny spot, for the rays began burning my skin. Just where the light stopped was where I stood, the somber azure shadows relieving me with it's comfort, but I sighed for it didn't feel as lively as the sun's.

As I caught his eye, the golden rays of the sun somehow shone brighter, the light blinding my sight as I tried my best to keep my eyes on Silas' unassuming face. He scratched his brown hair as the sun peeked through and glistened its every strand and very outline, leaving me shuddering with my navy jacket clinging to my chest. Not like it could compress it hard enough to reset my palpitating heart as I braced myself for what I had to say.

Noise that surrounded us suddenly vanished in my ears as my mind started compiling all the words I wanted him to hear, every student walking in my periphery turning into a blur as the gold reflecting from one side of his cheeks turned clearer and clearer in my eyes. Another golden leaf fell on my head this time, my cheeks flushing as I took and held it. His expression was unwavering as he waited for what I had to say, and before I even knew it, I'd already uttered the very words that revealed the truth.

"...I had fallen for you."

His eyes surveyed all three dimensions for a brief moment. I wasn't sure if he even comprehended the situation fully, as all I saw was the same expression that existed before I spilled my emotions in front of him. He shuffled his feet as my heart started beating faster, the sunlight inching further into my shoes where the shade initially stood for me. I could even hear the wind and my heart in my ears growing louder, furthering my anxious state. He paused before he spoke the expected.

"I... don't know what to say..."

It was to be expected, it wasn't my first time playing in the field, after all. I held my breath in anticipation of his next move. Was my eye contact distracting him from a decision? I couldn't tell. The blur that once filled my periphery slowly grew clearer. Less and less students stood around the halls as everyone took their cues to return home. The golden shine that blinded my eyes started waning in effulgence. Time might've been warped in the moment but I could've sworn he took an eternity to follow up on what he said.

Instead, he started walking.

Why didn't he just say no? Why was he just walking away? This wasn't part of the tens of scripts I wrote for myself, what was he doing? It's like I malfunctioned, struggling to synchronize with his pace. He wasn't even walking hastily, yet my emotional weight betrayed me in my need to keep up. Was he even taking this seriously? I called him with every step he took, desperately trying to get his attention back so we could have a conversation. Maybe I wasn't clear on what I wanted him to say. Maybe his mind blanked and thought he already answered me. I grabbed my lumbering heart as I took the courage to stand in his way and seek the truth. He barely spoke, his tone akin to feeling betrayed.

"Wren Summers..."

His gaze didn't move from where it was, though if his body could talk, it would be stuttering. It was a wonder that his face didn't give away a single thing to the untrained eye, yet all I could sense, all I could see, all I could hear, were silent yells of hesitation. Passersby looked curiously, unsure of what to think before their legs took them too far to be able to speculate. I clarified what response I wanted to get out from him.

So what does this make of us?

In a brief standstill, the golden sparkles in his eyes flickered. His stature tensed up as he tried desperately to speak, but nothing left his mouth. He shuffled his feet as if he depended on it. His mates popped up in the distance, their calls for their friend were faintly heard by us both as the sun began eagerly setting. I could practically hear the desire to leave the situation already from his expression, but I had to assure myself.

"Can we still be friends, at least?"
Before the boy could respond, he was taken away.