Chapter Eighteen: Who You Are

Double Act - Chapter 18

~~ Lara's P.O.V ~~

So that was his game. The catch. He was only being nice because he thought we had talent, and that he could win with us in his groups. No other reason at all. He didn't even care about why we had left so suddenly.

I didn't really know why I was so surprised by that. I mean, he's Louis Tomlinson. He dated Eleanor Calder. Why would he ever in a million years like me? When did that idea ever enter my mind? I must be mental.

As I stood next to Liv in that light-filled room, I tried my hardest to avoid looking up at our audience, but that was harder said than done.

I stepped closer to my sister. "Liv, I'm not sure I can do this again," I whispered to her. I didn't even have my guitar! I expected her to turn and hiss at me to not be so stupid, maybe even throw in a little slap or pinch. But no.

She sighed. "Lara, you did it the first time, you did it the second time," she smiled, and placed her warm hand on my own ice cold one. "I know you can do this,"

That shouldn't have convinced me. I should still have been nervous. They were just words.

But somehow they meant more to me than that. My sister was being nice and, dare I say it, supportive of me, and I wasn't about to let her dreams of becoming famous disappear. Besides, James told me to do two things back in that hospital room. Look after my sister, and win X Factor. I could do both right now by putting everything I had into this performance.

So I did.

~~ Harry's P.O.V ~~

I eyed the two girls carefully as they adjusted their posture before the gentle music started. They both took deep breaths before opening their mouths and singing, both of them showing the emotion of the song in their faces and body language. Everything a professional should do.

"I stare at my reflection in the mirror,

Why am I doing this to myself?

Losing my mind on a tiny error,

I nearly left the real me on a shelf,

No, no, no, no, no..."

I stared in awe as the two girls harmonised perfectly, hitting every note as amazingly as Jessie J herself. I glanced beside me at Lou, and saw that he was almost drooling over the girl on the left. I held back a smirk, and turned back to the performance.

"Don't lose who you are in the in the blur of the stars!

Seeing is deceiving, dreaming is believing,

It's okay not to be okay.

Sometimes it's hard to follow your heart,

But tears don't mean your losing, everybody's bruising,

There's nothing wrong with who you are,"

There was a pause, filled with the soft echoes of 'Who you are, who you are,'. In that break one of the girls stepped forward, throwing a nervous glance back at her sister before turning back to us. I noticed that she was shaking with nerves, her hands clutching desperately at the microphone as though it would fall to the floor at any moment. She tucked her hair behind her ear, and opened her mouth, finally lifting her gaze from the floor.

~~ Louis' P.O.V ~~

I couldn't believe that they were here. They had made it.

Lara and her sister stood there in the center of the floor. I was so busy gazing at Lara that I barely heard the music. I loved the song, but as Lara stepped forward everything seemed to go silent. I saw nothing but her as she glanced nervously backwards, trembling as she sucked in a breath.