51. Quiet Drive

~ WARNING! ~ Mentions of past childhood abuse & rape ~

For being a 'comedian' the first time I met him, Jude Aaron's was completely quiet during the beginning of the car ride.

I sat there, in the passenger seat, trying to keep my mind busy.

I think of Hank, Eric, Owen, Liam and Luke, Xander and Benji. My amazing family- well not anymore but it's still a good thought. A thought I won't soon forget about, a thought that'll keep me going through all the tough times ahead.

"You like ice cream?" He asked suddenly as we out of Alder County. He hadn't said a word to me after I got into the car so I whirled to face him.

His eyes were still locked on the street but his grin was there, it was gross.

"Uh..what?" I didn't even really hear him. And I really didn't care. I wasn't here for me- for him- or for my dad- I was here for the Andersons. To keep them safe.

"I asked if you liked ice cream? Jeez doll, you deaf or something?" I looked away. "Maybe I don't care what you have to say." I mumbled.

"Aw no, that's not very nice. And to think I was going to give you some you know- to celebrate." Celebrate what? My imprisonment? That's nothing to celebrate about that. Nothing at all.

"I don't like ice cream." I lied; I don't want anything from them. My dad or this random psycho. I'm not going to take anything from them, I can't trust them ever.

"Well aren't you miss ungrateful." I don't respond. He frowns. "Jeez doll I'm only kidding, lighten up a little." He moves a hand off the steering wheel and ruffles my hair, I pulled back.

"Don't touch me- please." I whispered.

He sighed deeply and became quiet, after a moment he said. "Come on kid, at least pretend to be happy." Like I could ever do that; like I could ever be happy again.

"I'm here but I don't have to be happy about this." I admitted. He scoffed. "What's there not to be happy about? Your finally seeing your dad? I'm sure you've missed him."

This delusional ass. Does he really think that? Does he even know-

"Do you know what he did to me?" His previously humored-filled eyes went icy.

"I can't discuss that with you."

"Well why not?"

"Your dad told me not too." Of course, he's the king of not taking responsibility.

"Because he doesn't want you to know the truth, is that it?" He shook his head and gripped the steering wheel. "You have no idea what your talking about." I do though.

"He's my dad- I know him well. He doesn't take any accountability. He doesn't like when people point it out too."

He gives me a sideways glance. "Your just a kid- your confused."

"Confused about what?"

"About who your real family is."

What the hell is he on about?

"Enlighten me, please." He tapped on the wheel.

One, one, three, one.

"You don't understand; you see that functional family in the Andersons and you think because their nice & and don't treat you like shit- like all the foster homes you've been at- that their your family."

"Because they are!" I know I shouldn't say that; if I can't pretend to be happy, I could at least pretend to not think about them anymore- for their sake- but I'm not going to let him talk down to them.