33. Mall Brats

"Wake up girly!" Someone, no joke, grabbed me by my shirt collar and shook me until I woke up.

"Ahh!" I use my free hand to smack the person, I was in full on fight or flight mode. Normally I'm more of a freeze girl but, due to being nervous about my dad being free soon, I've kicked up my defenses.

The person groans loudly and I hear them step back a few feet. "The heck, Carrie?" Wait. I recognize that voice. I frantically search my nightstand to find my glasses, I grab them and put them on. In front of me is Charlotte, holding her cheek in horror.

"Char, I'm sorry!" I said, getting out of bed. I hadn't known that was her. I knew it wasn't my dad, he has two more weeks to go in the slammer, but I'm still on edge. I attempt to hug her but she turns from me.

"I'm so sorry. You have to admit that if you were an attacker then I won though." She smiles- just a little. "Yeah, I'm glad your equipped against them but still- you didn't have to smack me. And so hard too!" I roll my eyes and throw the blankets off me. I only had on a white t-shirt and black underwear but she was my best friend, I didn't care if she saw me naked.

"I didn't know it was you, dummy." Charlotte crosses her arms. "Yeah, yeah..." she trails off. I start to take in my surroundings.

It was late morning, Sunday; It was only Charlotte in the room. No Delilah- which wasn't too surprising to me- she still refuses to come inside due to Owen. But neither was Penelope which was weird.

"Where's Penny?" Charlotte shrugs. "I tried to call to see if she wanted to hang but she's too tired. Blah. So I came here." I didn't mind it, Charlotte was my first friend here. And I loved her.

But man a phone call beforehand would be nice.

"Ah okay. Well what's the plan? I'm assuming you've got one since your here." She grins wildly. "Well I've been wanting to buy this dress at the mall- it's been sold out for a while. But they're back! Please come with me! It'll be fun."

I sigh. I do need some distraction after the shit show of a week last week was. "Yeah, okay. But you have to buy me lunch." He pretends to think for a moment. "You drive a hard bargain but- I agree!"

I show her out of my room and get changed. A put on a pair of white jeans and a short sleeve cherry top. I put my short black hair up in two pig tails. I didn't put makeup on, I didn't need to wear it everyday.

I snapped a picture of me in my mirror and sent it to Brent. He replied immediately.

Brent
You look so cute
Where are you going so early?

Carrie
I'm going to hang with Charlotte.
Lemme see you :)

He send me a picture of him smiling outside. He was in athletic clothes. More than likely he was out for an early morning run. His brown hair was messy but it just makes him cuter.

Carrie
Your the cute one.

Brent
Shush and have fun with Charlotte.
Call me later ;)

I exit my room after grabbing my black purse. I walk down the stairs and see Charlotte, she's in Liams lap and playing with his hair. I silently groan and enter the dining room.

"Morning hon." Hank says, giving me a weak smile. I go to him and hug him. He kisses my cheek. "How ya doing?" He asked.

"Fine. You?" He nods. "Same."

I think we were lying but neither of us mentioned it. I look over to see that- besides Charlotte and Liam sucking face- Luke and Xander were there eating all the breakfast food Hank had made.