Chapter 60: Flame Meets Flame!

The crowd's cheers chorused around the arena, each chime in the loud chorus breathing life and joy into the place. And, Lucas revelled in the vibrant cheers for the battling. He smiled as he escaped from the shadows, strutting along the platform proudly and confidently, knowing that he could absolutely win this battle. All that he needed was Torchic to match his confidence, and Lucas was certain that victory was in his grasp. At the opposite entrance, stood the Sinnoh trainer that Lucas had watched previously face off against Alex previously on that damaged battlefield. He had remembered Chimchar's scrappy nature and endurance against Alex, even if it meant the scrappy nature would get Chimchar to make some rash moves without thinking.

Torchic stood atop Lucas' shoulder, chirping brightly at the other trainer that was standing adjacent to them. Chimchar could be seen next to its trainer, dragging its feet and gripping its trainer's leg. The trainer knelt down and pat Chimchar gently on the head before the referee showed up from beneath the depths of the stadium, prompting both competitors to straighten up and stare at each other with fierceness in both of their eyes.

"Both trainers shall use only one Pokemon. Items are not permitted! Now, wait for the battlefield to emerge."

The previously torn battlefield from Ellie's battle slowly began to descend from the platform, sinking into the shadows to be replaced by a much fresher battlefield. And, this battlefield was new. The sun's glare shined fondly onto the once shadowy battlefield, revealing it to be a rather neutral terrain. There appeared to be rocky and mountainous terrain at the side of the battlefield, while shortly trimmed grass spread across the rest of the battlefield. However, there was an opening in the small mountain in which water flowed through the battlefield into the other rocky formation, complete with a bridge nestled over the river to allow both Pokemon to navigate over the river. Both trainers were fearful of the river, knowing of the disadvantages that may come with being extremely close to water. But, there was nothing they could do about it except try their best to avoid it.

"Torchic, I choose you!"

"Chimchar, let's get fired up!"

Torchic sprung from the ground onto the grassy plains, sparking up with flames and rupturing the roots of some blades of grass that were around. Chimchar, while nervous, looked to be trying to warm up, throwing a few combinations of punches that it had prepared from its training with its trainer for a few weeks. So, now, all that was left to do was simply start the match and let the Pokemon work their flames through the fight.

"Battle begin!"

"Let's start things off, Torchic! Flame Charge!"

Torchic burst with flames and dashed forwards. It quickly made its way along the grassy plains, crossing the bridge with pace. Chimchar held a steady stance against Torchic, awaiting commands to counterattack.

"Power Up Punch!", the Sinnoh trainer yelled, and Chimchar waited for the perfect opportunity to strike. Torchic dashed into Chimchar, but before the attack could land, a sudden blow struck Torchic in the torso and stopped it dead in its tracks. However, Torchic could shrug off the blow. A little too easily, it seemed. Lucas looked as Torchic appeared stunned by the minuscule power of the punch, and then his eyes glanced over to Chimchar, where a blue wave overcame the Fire-type from top to bottom. Chimchar flared up even brighter than before, and suddenly Lucas had an idea of the strategy that the Sinnoh trainer was using. So, for now, he just needed to lay on the pressure even more.

"Aerial Ace!", he cried while Torchic leapt into the air, striking down rather suddenly with its legs, hoping to score a direct hit with Chimchar while it was still so proud of itself from the Power-Up-Punch. However, Chimchar readied itself with a rock-solid stance against Torchic's attempt to attack from the air.