- Cal, you only turn 18 once. - Maya complained further.

- Really? I didn't know. – I played dumb.

- Shut up, you know what I mean. – she said in a more serious tone.

- I do, and I already told you. I don't want to. – my voice a little frustrated.

- Fine, but we still got you a present. – she said, not giving me any option.

- Okay, fine. What is it? Did you cook something? – I asked, a bit hopeful.

Maya opened her mouth to speak but didn't. – You wanted me to cook something? – she asked a bit surprised.

- That's a no, so what is it? – I changed the subject.

- No, it's okay. I'll cook you something when we get back. What do you want? – she asked kindly. I thought deeply about what of it.

- Ummm, I don't know... Whatever you want. – I casually said.

- It's not about what I want, it's about what you want. –

- What I want is to stop talking about this. –

- Except for that. – she contradicted immediately, making me laugh.

- Honestly, it's fine. Besides Mary is probably going to cook something. Don't worry about it. – I assured her.

It's not that I don't like my birthday, I just never celebrate it. My dad was a complete mess when my mother died, so he never did anything special on my birthday. It's okay, I don't mind. I understand how he must have felt. My mom died after giving birth to me. It was tough growing up without a mother, but my dad did his best to make up for it. Then he met Mary and they decided to marry and then Jamie and the others came along. It's nice, Mary and I get along just fine, and I care a lot about my siblings. It's not perfect, but then again what is?

- No, I'll leave school early and help Mary out. – she insisted.

- Maya... - I was quickly interrupted.

- I'd take it if I were you, Cal. I can't convince her to cook for me, not even on my birthday. – Luke casually said.

- That's because it's my birthday too jackass. – Maya scolded, but her brother just laughed it out.

- Whatever. – Luke dismissed.

- So, it's settled. – she stated. I didn't want to complain further, there was just no point arguing with her.

- Meanwhile, I got you this. – Luke said, taking out a black leather bracelet.

- Wow, Luke... thanks. – I appreciate his gesture and accepted the bracelet.

The bracelet had some platinum decoration along it, with some nice patterns engraved. It was very nice, they certainly bought it somewhere. I put it on my left wrist, along with the other one I already have. My dad and Mary got it to me when Jamie was born. It has our names engraved in some metal pieces along the bracelet. Whenever a new member was born, we added another piece. I've had it for years now.

- It's nothing. Did you get me that hunting knife on my birthday, remember? The drop point one. – he said. – It's the least I could do. –

- Excuse me, it was my idea. I bought the bracelet. – Maya quickly scoffed.

- You're already going to cook for him, don't hog all the attention. – Luke shot back; they never stop bickering. Maya just glared at him, not bothering to answer. - Hey bro, so what did your family get you? –

- Well, not much. Just some clothes and stuff like that, although Ally did make me a surprisingly good breakfast. – I remember the food she brought me.