Chapter XX

- Nathan -

I don't know what to do. Everything got out of hand so quickly that I staggered. Caleb's usually calm and clever in these situations. Luke was ready to attack when we got here, but Caleb quickly stopped him. There's something about him, the other two respect and follow him, but they are also afraid of him. I didn't understand why until he charged at Mathew and started punching him nonstop. The hunter quick to his instinct brought out a knife to defend himself and stabbed the rogue in the abdomen.

But instead of backing away, Caleb pierced the hunter's shoulders with his claws while grabbing the other hand and holding the knife to keep it in place. He's meddling his finger inside Mathew's shoulder. He's grunting, trying to remain as calm as possible, but he's definitively hurting

- You're the idiot here. The knife's poisoned. – Mathew spat in disgust.

A poisoned knife. Worry rushes through my body as I hear those words. Is Caleb going to be all right? All my body tenses at the thought of something happening to Caleb. I want to do something to help, but my body doesn't respond.

- Haha, I already knew it was laced with wolfsbane. But here's the thing about wolfsbane, after getting poisoned a lot with it, you start to develop a certain tolerance. Didn't your parents teach you that wolfsbane takes time to take effect? I have more than enough time to kill you all before needing to worry about the poison. – Caleb says menacingly, shining his eyes blue.

I've never seen Caleb like this, so angry and aggressive, it's terrifying, to say the least. It's like he's a completely different person. His blue eyes show no remorse whatsoever, and with that smile, it looks like he's enjoying hurting Mathew. This new Caleb is scary, and more... savage. I don't know what to think about it.

- What about a bullet in your head? - Dakota says, bringing out a small gun from her jacket. - Does that give you enough time? –

I freeze in place as I see the small firearm out and pointing to Caleb's head. I can smell the lead and wolfsbane coming off it. That thing's poisoned as well. Dakota's eyes show so much disdain and anger, they hate rogues.

- You're bluffing. – Caleb says, not caring whatsoever.

- You wanna find out? – she says dangerously, pulling back the barrel to prove her point.

What does he think he's doing? Dakota's fuming in anger and has a gun in her hand. She's not joking un pulling the trigger. I start to sweat in anxiety.

- Dakota put the gun away. You're not firing it at a public school, are you crazy? You'll become the most wanted criminal in the state. - my voice comes back. – Calm down and put the gun down. – I try reasoning with her. If she fires that gun, it's over. We'll be out to the world.

- Shut up. – the hunter snarks at me, not separating her eyes from the rogue.

- Listen to him. – he says, with a condescending tone.

- Or what? – she exclaims angrily, adjusting her shoulders. I swear she's going to shoot any second.

- Or she gets it. – a female voice sounds, catching our attention.

My anxiety spikes even more as I turn to see Maya holding Violet by the throat with her claws out. I never felt her coming, she just appeared out of nowhere. Violet's face is pale with fear. It's her first time dealing with werewolves, she's terrified I can smell it.

- Drop the gun or she dies. – Maya threatened, tightening the grip on her neck, and making Violet squeak. She's trembling, her hands are shaking. It looks like she's going to faint.