Chapter L

- Nathan -

            After a very, emphasize very, needed cold shower, I finally managed to get some self-control again. While Caleb was downstairs talking to Mary, I dried myself and changed into my clothes as fast as possible. I didn't want to risk him entering and seducing me. I don't think I have the self-control to deal with that a second time. Looking at the clock I read 23:45, which means that the ceremony is about to take place. We should probably get going. I rush down the stairs and to the kitchen only to be taken aback by a man I've never seen before. They are all standing at a different edge of the kitchen, their eyes drift to me. I think I might've interrupted something important.

- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt. – I say, turning around.

- No, it's okay. Stay. – Caleb says. He extends his hand and I take it, feeling his nerves through the mate bond. – I should introduce you guys. Nate, this is my father, Allan. Dad, this is my mate, Nathan. – he speaks uncomfortably.

My Goddess, I didn't suspect a thing. I guess the session earlier is still clouding my judgment. Looking attentively at the man I start to notice the similarities. They have the same raven hair and nose; they are about the same height and completion. Although he does look way older than I thought we would, with wrinkles on his forehead and underneath his eyes. The older man has brownish-green eyes and a paler skin tone than my mate. Realization hits me, this is Caleb's dad, and they are angry at each other. Shit, what do I do? How do I say?

- I-It's a pleasure to meet you, sir. – I stutter extending my hand shakily, the nerves getting the better of me for a second.

The older man smiles widely, exhaling happily as if my gesture amused him. I start to feel a bit insecure about my actions since he's not shaking my hand. Instead, he walks up to me and hugs me tightly. My head snaps around to my mate, he simply smiles and nods slightly. I chuckle and hug back. We separate after a while, and he is beaming a smile back at me. I'm just glad he doesn't hate me.

- The pleasure is all mine. – he speaks politely. – I'm so glad my son found a mate as brave and strong as you. – he says from the bottom of his heart.

- Thank you, sir. – I say, a little embarrassed frankly.

- Oh, please. You are family, call me Allan. – he says joyfully. Well, he's a cheery one, wonder why Caleb came out all moody and quiet.

- Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hate to break the bonding moment right here, but it's almost midnight, we gotta go. – Jamie calls just outside the kitchen with Josh and Ally by her side.

- Callie! –

Off went the little girl, rushing towards her brother like usual. I just can't help but picture her biting the shit out of Maya. Just picturing me makes me want to laugh. Josh walked to his father who carried him with ease. Okay, so, Ally is obsessed with Cal, Josh loves his father, which means that Jamie and Mary must be close. I think I might start figuring this family out.

- We should get going. – Mary agrees.

We head outside, the chilling wind of midnight brushing against my skin. It's a cold night, with the moon shining brightly on the sky, delighting us with all her glory. This is certainly not how I pictured my first full moon next to Caleb would be. Well, to be honest, earlier in the shower was more like it, but I didn't know how to manage it. I glance at my mate, dressed in a black shirt and a lighter tone of black jeans. He's carrying Ally on his shoulders; the little girl looks so happy. My Goddess is that man perfect.

It takes us about ten more minutes to arrive at the place. It's on the outside border opposite River Valley, next to the river. The whole pack has gathered around, and you can feel the heavy atmosphere in the air. There's so much sorrow and pain, that it's hard to push all the feelings away. I try my best not to succumb to the pain, but it's certainly a challenge. I turn to face Caleb and his family. At some point, he let down Ally, who is now walking by his side. Her bright smile disappeared, taking a more serious look. I inspect all of them, but they don't look as affected or, maybe, they are just better at hiding it. Many gazes turn to me as we pass by, I'm not sure how to feel about it. It's hard to know what they are feeling with so many emotions through the pack link and I don't understand what they are saying either. My nerves started to spike, maybe it was a mistake to come. It's a very intimate tradition and I feel like an outsider. A warm hand grabs my own, making my head turn immediately.