Chapter XLIII

- Nathan -

            My hands are still trembling in fear, they have been for the past two hours. I keep telling myself that everything is fine, that I'm safe, but it's as if my body can't get the memo. After my pack arrived, they quickly overthrew the rogue packs. The fight was over then, but my body still lingers in fear of an attack. This is the first time I've ever been in a battle. My heart was not built for it, so many deaths, so much blood. My throat closes at the mere thought of it. By the end of the raid, the Lazarus pack had lost 15 members plus the three scouts that were initially killed. Almost a third of their numbers depleted. I dared not to question if there were any kids among them, for I feared my heart wouldn't survive knowing.

I take a deep breath to try and steady myself, resting in the back of the chair. My hand continues shaking even as I rest it on my leg. My father and Alaric have been speaking in his office for a little over an hour. The subject is a complete mystery since the walls are soundproof. My eyes inevitably drift back to my hands, and I still picture them covered in blood. I'm a killer.

- Hey, I brought you some water. – Caleb's voice says soothingly, handing me the glass of water. He sits next to me.

- Thank you. – I say lowly, accepting the glass and cupping it with both hands like a little boy.

- How are you holding up? – he asks nicely

- I'm okay. – I lie, fighting back the tears in my eyes. My hands start to shake again, making the water in the cup move.

- Nate. – he calls, putting his hand over mine. I notice just how warm his hands are, compared with mine. The warmth coming from them is so soothing and helpful. – The fight is over, you're safe. – he adds.

- I know... it's just... - I was about to open up to him when the door to Alaric's office opened. My mother comes out.

- Hey, guys. We are ready for you. – she said.

We exchange a glance before standing up and walking to the office. Caleb let me come in first. The office is quite big, it could easily host over 20 people, and it wouldn't feel crowded. There are many people present. My father, mother, Alaric, Jeremiah, Nymeria, and another three older wolves who I believe are the Beta, Gamma, and Delta. They all are staring at us, and my nerves instantly spike. It did surprise me not to see Caleb's father, but I assume that they must be tending to the wounded.

- So, we've been discussing about your relationship along with other recent events. – my father began speaking. I know this tone very well... – What you guys did was very irresponsible. You shouldn't have kept your relationship a secret and, although we understand your reasons, it's no excuse for all the trouble it caused. –

- We know, Dad, and we're very sorry. – I speak calmly.

- Your lives are way more important than you understand. Thankfully you warned us before running off here, but you could've been killed today son. – his tone took a more serious and sad tone.

- There was no way of knowing that three rogue packs would ally and ambush the Lazarus pack. – I say, feeling a wave of guilt flow through me.

- And all that problem could've been prevented if you had told us earlier, right Alaric? – my dad turns to the stoic Alpha. He nods.

- We know you never meant harm, but it doesn't alter the death toll it took in both packs. – the rogue alpha said. His deep baritone tone voice caught me by surprise. – The fact that rogues are allying makes matters much worse. Gregory and the elites alongside some fighters from River Valley hunted some of the rogue werewolves, but many escaped. We have no clue of how many or their direction. Both Alphas from Hendrix and Ross pack and the Beta in Command from Whitlock are still alive. If they decide to take revenge, we could be facing a huge threat. We need to take some safety procedures. –