Chapter LIV

- Maya -

- Don't you dare leave me alone or I'll hurt you, I'll hurt you really bad, understand? – I sneer.

- Babe, relax. It's just my mom. – Jake said casually as if there was nothing to worry about.

Of course, there's a lot to worry about. My hands haven't stopped shaking since I entered his house. This is his mother, for the Moon's sake, it's not just any stupid domestic in this pack I would usually not even care about. No, not this time, this person matters. My foot starts pacing rapidly as I can't sit in place on the couch in the living room. "Fuck, control yourself already Maya, you're better than this", I tell myself. He soothingly covered my hands with his, the warm sensation from his hands against my cold ones was comforting. Our eyes meet again.

- Look at me and take a deep breath. – he says calmly. Okay, that might work. I inhale deeply. – Now let go. – I exhale. – How do you feel? –

- Actually... that breath felt good. I feel serene, and calm, like I have everything under control. – I say, acting all calm and pulled together. – How do you think I'm feeling Jake? I'm freaking out! – I punch him in the shoulder to release some nerves.

- Ouch. – he complained, massaging the spot. – The pillow was right there, just putting it out there. – I threaten to punch him again. – Okay, okay, I'm sorry. Jeez, I'm just trying to help. – he adds. I exhale deeply, trying to control my nerves.

- I know you are, I'm just worried. – I admit, playing with my fingers.

- There's no need to, my mom is going to love you. – he assures me.

- How can you be so sure? I don't know if you noticed, but I'm not exactly the best at first impressions. I'm blunt, I'm rude and I don't care what most people think. It's not the best combination to get your mother-in-law to like you... –

- That's not true. – his voice interrupted, softly laying his hand on my knee to stop me from pacing.

- Oh, but it is, just look at the facts; I have three friends, two if you don't count Nymeria who's my alpha. Let's face it Jake, I'm not everyone's cup of tea. – I explain. He gives me a sympathetic look. – Don't get me wrong, I like the way I am. It keeps idiots away, but... I'm not good at making friends. People don't like me. –

- So, what? Maybe you're not particularly friendly or nice and you have a big mouth and no filter whatsoever, that's what I like about you. You don't take crap from anyone and you're not afraid to speak your mind. So, you don't have many friends, you still made this idiot fall in love with you. – he says lovingly looking at me.

- Against all my efforts to push you away. – I whisper and he chuckles.

- See? That's exactly what I mean. – he laughs, making me smile. – Maya Hemming, I love you with all my heart. I'm sure my mother is going to love you too. –

So, this is how it feels to have a mate. I get the lust and the excruciating need to be close to them, but this is something different. This indescribable feeling of warmth and support is like nothing I felt before. His words simply get to me to a level I cannot begin to describe. It's almost like I'm comforting myself the words and support from someone else. I love it.

- Thanks, Jake. That helped. – I say, gaining control over myself.

- Do you think you'll be alright? We can always do this another day. – he proposed.

- No, no. I'm going to be fine. – I assure him. – Let's do this. –

- Okay. Stay here, I'm going to get my mom. – he says, standing up.