chapter 21

As said, Allison begun her training with Michael. He told her to sit down at the table while he looked around for a couple of books.

"You're not gonna say that I have to learn every spell in that book, right?" She chuckled nervously as Michael placed two old leathered books on the table. One was labeled with spells and the other one with rules.

"That one? No of course not. Even Ashton doesn't know all the spells, but the other one you'll have to learn," he answered as he pointed to the rules book.

"Well, at least it's smaller," she mumbled as she flipped through a couple of pages.

"They're not that hard," Michael assured her, "a lot are kinda the same."

"Well, lets get started then," Allison said and flipped back 'til she was on the first page.

"Oh no, that's something you'll have to learn in your own time. Today, I'm going to learn you some spells," He corrected her.

"I thought I didn't have to learn them?" She said confused.

"Not every spell, yes, but the most important ones you'll have to know," The demon said.

"Like what?"

"Like the spell to put someone to sleep, to make someone freeze in place, to make yourself a shield, to teleport somewhere, to make people forget something and the list goes on and on," Michael answered

"Okay, bring it on," she sighed standing up and walking over to Michael.

The demon motioned for her to stand in front of him.

"So how do you cast a spell? Do we need a wand like in Harry Potter?"

"No you think of a spell and you think of where you want it to happen. Let's start with a simple one. I want you to create fire on that pile of wood," he said and pointed a stack of wood behind the girl.

"Okay," she agreed.

"Look at the spell, remember it and try to make it happen," he ordered.

"'incaendo'" she mumbled, reading the spell.

"Concentrate,"

Allison repeated the spell several times in her mind and focused her attention on the pile of wood.

Suddenly a small flame ignited from the pile.

"You did it," the demon said astonished, "you actually did it on your first time,"

He couldn't believe his eyes and walked closer, admiring Allison's work.

"I can't believe I did it," she said amazed.

Both the demon and the human in transition were speechless. They looked at each other and back to the burning pile. After a couple minutes the two got themselves back together and continued practicing.

Ashton eventually joined them to see how things were going.

"She's really talented, she can do almost every spell on first try," Michael told Ashton as Allison kept trying to summon lightning.

"That's amazing but confusing at the same time," He replied while his eyes were focused on the girl who successfully shot a lightning bolt at a crate. The crate exploded and flew everywhere.

"Didn't think that through," she mumbled as she cocked her head to the side.

"Okay Allison, first course is over for today. We're going to eat first and chill a bit and then you'll start practicing with Calum," the oldest demon announced.

"Okay,"

The three walked out of the room and joined Calum and Luke.

The two were standing as far as they could from each other. Calum was trying to start a conversation with Luke and make eye contact but the blonde did everything to avoid it.

Luke was being overwhelmed by guilt. He didn't want to betray his friend again but he also didn't want to let Ashton down. He just really wanted to know what happened that day so he could help his friend. He doesn't like it that he's being shut out by his best friend.

"Hey guys," Allison greeted them, not noticing the tension between the two.

"Allison, hey, how did your first training go?" Luke asked her immediately when he noticed the girl's presence.

"Pretty good, I think," she answered with a smile.

"Pretty good? Allison, you were amazing," Michael gushed.

"Really? Can't wait to see how you'll do during my practice," Calum said.

"Well then let's go find out," she said enthusiastically.

"You're not gonna eat first?" Ashton frowned.

"No, I think I'll skip this meal. I'm way to excited to sit down and eat. I wanna learn more about you guys. Besides, I'm not even that hungry," she answered simply while almost pulling Calum off his chair.

Luke gave Ashton and Michael a questioning look while the two demons doubtfully looked at each other.

"She turning quicker then you anticipated, isn't she?" Luke asked already knowing the answer.

Ashton sighed and turned towards the blonde.

"We have to do this memory searching thing quickly and without Calum knowing. We all remember what happened last time," Ashton said.

"Don't you think that that's exactly the reason why you shouldn't be doing this?" Michael asked a bit irritated.

"This time we'll be more careful," He deflected his answer like it was nothing.

"Yeah, right, I'd like to see how that one ends," the younger demon said.

"What is your problem?" Ashton snapped.

"My problem is that you swore to protect your kind, to keep Calum under control, that you'll be the leader of this group and keep us together. But now you're all of sudden ready to risk all of those promises for one stupid secret Calum's keeping," Michael exclaimed.

"Then leave if you're so against it. I don't need you anyway. I just need Luke," the oldest demon replied.

"Did you even ask Luke his opinion? Did you ever ask if he wanted to do this?" He pointed out.

"I don't have to, he did it once why wouldn't he want to do it now? He still want to know the truth as badly as me, right Luke?" Ashton asked.

"Well I-"

"Be honest, Luke" Michael cut him off before he could even answer.

"I uh-"

"See, he doesn't want to hurt your feelings so he doesn't know how to tell you the truth," This time it was Ashton who cut the blonde off.

"Maybe he doesn't know how to tell you that he doesn't want to do it," Michael replied.

"You know what? I'm sick of your attitude I'm leaving," Ashton said and walked out of the backdoor.

"Fine!" Michael yelled after him and stormed off to his lab.

Luke was left behind and sat himself down on one of the chair.

He placed his head in his hands and thought about what decision he should make.