68

Ivory groaned and rolled over, trying to shield her eyes from the bright morning sun. "What the hell?" She muttered, raising her head from the pillow that she had buried it in as pain erupted across her stomach. "Grace?" She called, squinting in the daylight that was pouring in through the large windows of the medical bay.

Grace jolted awake and hurriedly pushed back the chair that she had been dozing in, half stumbling over to Ivory's side. "Ivy? How do you feel?" She asked urgently.

"Delightful." Ivory's tone dripped with sarcasm. "What happened?"

"You almost died you absolute fucking idiot." Grace raked a hand through her tangled curls with difficulty. "Are you thirsty?" Grace didn't wait for a response before she grabbed a water jug from the bedside table and filled a glass, pushing it into her girlfriend's hands.

"Not really."

"You've not had anything to drink for two days you should-"

"Grace I'm fine." Ivory said sharply, pushing her duvet back and swinging her legs out of bed, steadfastly ignoring her body's screams of protest.

"Get back into bed, I'm not arguing with you over this."

"But-"

The redhead looked up and down the medical bay. "Don't make me get Pérez to come over here."

Ivory made a noise of disgust. "You wouldn't do that, you can't stand him either."

"I would if it meant you'd actually stay in your goddamn bed and rest."

"Is everyone else okay? I want to see if-" Ivory broke off with a yelp as Grace pushed her legs back onto the bed.

"Lie down and go to sleep."

"I'm not doing that." Ivory muttered sulkily.

"Ivy stop complaining." Grace said sharply.

Ivory snorted. "Grace when you'd been shot all you did was complain, I think I've earned my right to whine a little bit."

"That's because you wouldn't let me do anything when we were in a critical situation with the Na'vi."

"You won't let me do anythin' now and we could be in a critical situation with the Na'vi for all you're telling me, I think I have the right to complain. And I think I have the right to know exactly what situation we're in now."

"Not being able to get out of bed so you don't end up bursting your stitches isn't the end of the world." Grace said flatly, rubbing a hand over her face.

"Yes it is!" Ivory knew that she was being a royal pain but she was already past caring, all she wanted was to be in her own bed with her cat and a decidedly less grumpy Grace.

"Ivy would you just stop being so fucking difficult for five seconds?" Grace exploded.

Ivory jerked, slopping most of her glass of water onto the thin bedsheets. "Grace-" she shoved the glass onto the bedside table and moved to catch her girlfriend's sleeve.

"I just- I need some time." Grace yanked her arm out of Ivory's grip and shoved the abandoned chair out of her way, marching out of the room. Grace barely noticing as her shoulder slammed into Pérez, sending the folder that he was carrying flying.

"What's your problem?" Ivory called after Grace's retreating back. "Jesus Christ."

"Fucking Doctor Augustine." Pérez muttered, bending over to pick up the papers that were now scattered all over the floor. "Thank god I'm getting out of this shithole, I've had enough." He shoved the wad of notes onto an empty bed and swept out of the room, only pausing to kick the battered folder out of his way.

Ivory rolled her eyes then slowly eased herself out of bed, wincing as she stood up properly for what seemed to be the first time in days. "What's the damage?" She mumbled to herself. She reached down and slid up the hem of her T-shirt, pausing to note the dried blood that had gathered under her fingernails. Thick layers of bandages littered with old bloodstains were wrapped tightly around her abdomen in a haphazard attempt to cover the mess that had been made of it. The woman reached upwards and ran a hand over her forehead, cringing as her fingertips snagged on what felt like a slightly wonky row of butterfly stitches that stopped just before her hairline. Ivory pushed her hand into her hair and groaned as her fingers met with a matted chunk that seemed to be encrusted with blood and dirt. "Fuck this." She pulled her T-shirt back down and headed for the door.

A/N: Long time no see. I have not written for months and I honestly don't know if I can remember how so sorry if this doesn't make any sense. Also proofreading?? Idk her. I got covid so couldn't see Avatar 2 when it was released so no spoilers please I've still got a bit to wait :(