30

Ivory, Grace, Trudy, Norm and Jake were crowded around the table with plates of rehydrated cheese pizza.

"So Jake, how are things going with your studies with Neytiri?" Grace asked.

Norm made a disgusted noise in the back of his throat and continued shovelling pizza.

"She's teaching me how to fly a mountain banshee. Bonding to one is hard fuckin' work."

"Well make sure you're putting the work in Jake, you need to try and see things through her eyes. You're getting an opportunity others only dream of, don't waste it."

"I won't." Jake mumbled, picking at his food.

"Good, we can't risk losing the progress you've been making Jake, the lives of the Na'vi depend on it."

"That's real comforting, thanks Grace." Jake said sarcastically.

Ivory laughed.

"I'm being serious Jake." Grace finished the last slice of her pizza.

"Can't I just-?" Norm begged.

"No Norm, you can't. The Omaticaya chose Jake and that's just the way things are." Grace said tiredly.

Trudy rolled her eyes, rolling a slice of pizza up and forcing it into her mouth with difficulty. "Why can't Norm go with Jake and Neytiri?" She asked, a determined look in her eyes.

"Because he can't, I'm not explaining things again." Grace put her head in her hands.

Ivory sat in the lab with Grace

Ivory sat in the lab with Grace. She had her phone in her hand, messing about on it to try and kill time. Much to her surprise since she had moved with Grace and her team to Site twenty six her workload had decreased enormously. Now she only had the few team members to tend to she was finding herself with a startling amount of free time. The dark haired woman sat going through her camera roll, deleting all the photos that she'd backed up. She closed her photo album and opened the camera app. "Come on Grace, smile." Ivory held her phone out so that both Grace and Tigger were in the frame. The dark haired woman stuck her tongue out and made a peace sign. The redhead's face remained neutral as Ivory took the picture. "Do you want to see?"

"Will it mean that you're quiet whilst I finish the rest of my notes?"

"Maybe."

Grace nodded. "I'll take a maybe."

Ivory quickly set the photo that she had just taken as her phone wallpaper then slid it over to Grace so that she could see the picture for herself.

Grace looked at the glowing screen, picking the phone up. The photo showed Ivory doing a silly pose, leaning towards Grace who's expression was deadpan. The contrast between the two women's expressions made the photo almost amusing. Grace slid the phone back with a smile and turned back to her work, wondering why the picture made her insides feel so soupy.

Ivory reached under the desk and took out her sketchbook and pencils, flipping to a fresh page. She looked at the photo on the screen of her mobile and began to sketch out the basic shapes, carefully shielding her drawing pad from Grace's view as she told herself that the way her stomach squirmed whenever she was alone with Grace meant absolutely nothing.

Ivory checked her watch, squinting in the dim light from the lamp that Grace had put on the desk provided

Ivory checked her watch, squinting in the dim light from the lamp that Grace had put on the desk provided. It was almost four in the morning. "Come on Grace." Ivory got up and took hold of one of the redhead's shoulders, getting her out of her chair. "Come on, let's get you to bed. You look beat." She led Grace by the shoulder out of the lab and back in the direction of her sleeping quarters.

"Don't tell me what to do." Grace muttered, yawning. She let Ivory lead her even so. The dark haired girl stopped outside of Grace's door, accidentally breathing in the intoxicating flowery scent of her red hair. "Thanks Ivy." The older woman whispered.

Without really meaning to, Ivory reached out and pushed one of Grace's lavender scented curls behind her ear. "Goodnight Grace."

"Goodnight Ivy." Grace turned and went into her sleeping quarters, shutting the door behind her. She flopped down onto her bed, wondering why she'd wished that Ivy's hand had stayed there longer and why she'd wished that she could have asked the woman to stay with her for the night.