19

Grace was knocking on Ivory's door at six am sharp. "Hill are you awake? We're on the flight line in five minutes."

"I'm up, I'm up." Ivory shouted to the closed door, hurriedly dividing her hair in half and securing it away from her face in two plaits. She hastily knotted her bandana around her head, swearing under her breath. She reached down and ruffled Tigger's fur then grabbed her rucksack, leaving her room.

"I brought you this." Grace said, trying to keep the tone of her voice careless as she passed Ivory an apple.

"Are you sure Quaritch hasn't poisoned it?"

"Don't, I still feel sick at the memory of all that." Grace muttered, marching down the corridor to the Armor Bay.

"Aren't you driving your Avatar today?" Ivory asked, rubbing her eyes. Even though it had been nearing four in the morning when Grace had told Ivory that she would be going with herself and Jake into Pandora later she was sure that Grace had told her she would be flying in alone with Trudy.

"Yes."

"So why are you coming with me?" The shorter woman bit into her apple.

Grace didn't answer. Instead she approached Maya with a businesslike expression on her face. "Chacon?" She called.

Trudy jumped down from one of Maya's wings, shaking her brown hair back out of her eyes. "Ready whenever you are."

"Meet us in the forest, dead centre." Was all Grace said before she turned and walked away.

Grace crouched down on the rain forest floor, now in her Avatar body

Grace crouched down on the rain forest floor, now in her Avatar body. "Norm come look at this." She reached out with one gigantic blue hand and gently brushed away soil, exposing a tangle of root tendrils.

Jake groaned and scouted ahead, a bored look on his Avatar's bright blue face. "Oh, shit." He said hoarsely, stopping short. A guttural snarl tore from the towering thanator that was crouching in the undergrowth, it's rows of razor sharp fangs on display.

Ivory looked up from rummaging through her supply pack and bit back a scream, her hand flashing to the gun that was strapped to her thigh.

"Run, run!" Grace shouted. "Don't shoot it's skin is too thick!"

Three tonnes of thanator launched itself into the air, landing so hard in front of Jake that the ground shook, baring its fangs with a lethal hiss.

Grace yanked Ivory's wrist. "Run you idiot!" She gave the shorter woman a shove. "Get out of here, it'll kill you!"

Ivory raced after Norm who had already turned tail and run away.