14

It had been almost a week since Grace had caught Ivory being sick and she was still keeping a frustratingly close eye on her. Whenever she entered the biolab she felt Grace's eyes on her immediately, even if she had been looking down her microscope or discussing peptide strands.

"Ivy?" Jake asked, wheeling himself into the Medical Bay where Ivory was stood packing bandages away into first aid kits that would go out with ground troops.

Ivory dropped the bandages that she was rolling up and turned to Jake, breathing out slowly. "What's up?"

"Are there any bandaids left? I broke a plate." Jake explained, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly.

"How'd you manage that?" The plates in Hell's Kitchen were notoriously difficult to break, Parker had ordered the best ones he could find because things so often got broken in transit. She turned to the sink and washed her hands, hastily drying them on a paper towel.

"I was reenacting a bar fight I'd gotten into back on Earth." The man said, giving Ivory a lopsided grin.

"What the fuck? Just show me where you've cut yourself."

Jake lifted one of his hands from the wheels of his chair. With a start Ivory realised that the submachine gun which usually hung from one of the handles of his wheelchair handle was gone. She suddenly liked him a lot better.

"Jesus, Marine." Ivory took hold of Jake's hand, turning it gently as she examined his blood soaked palm.

"Did you seriously just call me that? Have you been taking lessons from Grace or somethin'?"

Ivory rolled her eyes and dropped Jake's hand back onto his lap, opening one of the cupboards overhead. "Very funny. I have been taking lessons from her but they've only been on the flowers and plants here that'll try to kill, maim or poison people."

"So all of them?" Jake smirked.

"All of them." The woman pulled a packet of alcohol wipes from a shelf and picked up Jake's hand, wiping across his palm.

"Do I get a lollipop if I'm a good boy?" He asked archly.

"No but if you ask me that again you'll get a smack." Ivory teased, throwing the bloody wipe into the bin. She looked at Jake's clean hand. "That's going to need more than a bandaid." She turned back to the cupboard and crouched down, pulling out a cardboard box of wound closure strips. The dark haired woman straightened up, rubbing a hand across the small of her back. "Keep your hand still." She pushed the edges of the deep gash together and began to stick the butterfly stitches across Jake's palm, closing the wound.

The brunette pulled his hand away, inspecting it. "Thanks."

"No problem." Ivory washed her hands again and pushed the wipes and wound closure strips back into the cupboard.

Grace thumped on the bathroom door impatiently, pushing her towel further up her arm

Grace thumped on the bathroom door impatiently, pushing her towel further up her arm. "Come on, I came right after dinner to get in the goddamn shower first."

"Just a second." Ivory coughed, her throat raw from stomach acid.

"Hill?" There was a rattle and several muttered swearwords. The door opened.

"Get out!"

Grace ignored her and stepped into the bathroom, chucking her towel in the direction of the sink before locking the door behind her. She sat down on the floor next to Ivory, gently pushing her back down onto the floor as she tried to get up. "Bulimia doesn't end well for anyone, Hill." She said matter of factly.

Ivory wiped the sheen of sweat from her face with the bottom of her camouflage green tank top. "It's not-"

"Come on, this is the third time that I've caught you being sick, do you really expect me to believe that it's just a stomach bug? That would have gone by now."

"Grace for god's sake it isn't anything like that." Ivory said seriously, reaching up to rub a finger over the engravings on her dog tags. Ivory simultaneously felt like the oldest and youngest thirty six year old on the planet.

A/N: Is anyone else going to watch the Doctor Who comic con panel?