38

Sold

Thanksgiving crept up on us quickly, the autumn days rolling by faster than the locomotive I had come in on. It felt like the days were slipping through my fingertips, and I couldn't keep track anymore. Ever since Nathan had run away and I was sick, it didn't seem real that the year was almost over. I had arrived in Tuckerton in late April, and now it was nearing the end of November, which didn't seem plausible. Time had flown by so quickly.

Nancy was reading at the foot of the bed as the early morning sun crept through the window, shining rays of light across her round face.

"I can smell the bacon grease," I stated, dreading getting out of the cozy bed. "Aunt Margarette is cooking. We probably should help her."

"You're right." Nancy nodded as I slipped out of my warm covers and onto the cold, slick hardwood floor after she pushed the trundle underneath the bed. My breath hitched as I grabbed my stockings out of my drawer against the wall, setting my other garments on top of it.

Pulling my stockings on, Nancy and I started to get ready.

"We have a long day ahead of us," Nancy whispered as she helped me into my petticoats. "Hosting Thanksgiving is no joke. Last year Mama and I cooked from dawn to dusk." Nancy groaned in remembrance as she hopped around on one foot to tug on her stockings. "Thank goodness you and Constance are here to help."

"Is Bernie coming?" I asked, wondering about my older cousin. I hadn't seen much of him except at church or if we went to the general store.

"Yes!" Nancy beamed, pulling open her wardrobe to pull out her petticoats. "The Findlays and the Rickmans are coming, too!"

My eyes widened as I looked quizzically at Nancy who was hopping into her skirts. Firstly, that was a lot of people to feed this evening. Secondly, I didn't want to face Wally. He had hurt my feelings, and I didn't want to see him at the moment. But it looked like I wouldn't get what I wanted.

"I love full houses," Nancy said softly as she pulled on her thick burnt orange dress. "It is full of fellowship and warmth."

"That sounds amazing," I said, not sure if I ever had the opportunity to be a part of a full house with three families, but was curious to see how Aunt Margarette would pull it off. "It just seems like a lot."

"We've got this under control," Nancy smiled, backing up to me so I could help her with the tiny buttons on the back of her dress. "I believe in us."

"And you, Nancy, have enough belief to fuel an entire army," I replied.

-=+=-

"Hattie, it's your turn," Nancy said as she exited the kitchen into the dining room. She set her towel on the dining table after she wiped the flour off of her hands. "Do you need help?"

"I don't know." I shrugged, unsure. I had never cut cookies before, so I didn't know. "Whether I need help or not, your company would be appreciated."

"I shall accompany you, Lady of the Lake," Nancy said, nodding dramatically as she smiled widely with a curtsy. "With pleasure."

Nancy enthusiastically directed me in the steps to roll the dough out, cut it, and set on the baking sheet. The process would have been rather monotonous if it hadn't been for Nancy forgetting to flour the counter well enough, resulting in the dough getting stuck to it. We had to restart the process often and each time got more hilarious due to Nancy's reaction intensifying.

"Now, this should be the last time to roll the dough out," Nancy stated firmly as she looked at the white-covered counter.

"You said that the last two times, Nan," I said through a chuckle.