24

A Birthday

"Mama, Essie is here with her siblings!" Nancy yelled as she stumbled through the door. At the outburst, I set down the oven mitts that were on my hands. Aunt Margarette and I were finishing up the cooking while Nancy was setting up the table outside. My heart stirred at the idea that people were here for my birthday.

"Slow down, Nancy," Aunt Margarette said as she wiped her hands on her apron. "Did you finish your chores?"

Nancy nodded before dashing out the door again.

"I feel that she is more excited than I am," I said, internally chuckling at my cousin. A hidden smile on my face, I turned to go help Nancy outside.

Parked in front of the barn was the Findlay wagon. Inside of it was Mr. and Mrs. Findlay with Essie, Marten, Ramsay, and Martha. I walked over, a smile growing on my face. I was glad that they all could make it. The Findlay boys helped their mother and sisters out of the cart while Mr. Findlay, or Mr. Bart as he liked to be called, unhitched the horses. Essie greeted me with a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"Happy birthday!" Essie grinned from ear to ear. She went to the back of the cart where Marten was. Marten handed her a package before turning to me to smile and tilt his hat. Turning on my heel, I followed Essie and Nancy, who were taking the package to the table in front of the back porch.

More people kept arriving as the afternoon carried on. Richie and his da came as well as the Prices, per my request. I had felt bad that I had not gotten to know them on the train, so I decided to ask my aunt to invite them.

Later, the Rickmans showed up. Even Nathan came along, but alas, Wally was nowhere in sight. I should have known he would still avoid me even after our talk. Nevertheless, I greeted them kindly, beckoning them to the backyard where the bonfire was.

"My word, sweetheart." Mrs. Rickman paused, shaking her head as her eyes softened. "You're a spitting image of your ma. Leanne will agree."

"Miss Leanne is your sister, right?" I asked.

"Yes, she is," she said as we reached the guests in the back. "I am the oldest, she was next, and then was Henrietta. She passed away many years ago."

"I'm sorry to hear," I said, understanding loss, but the name Henrietta rang a bell. I recalled Aunt Margarette mentioning her being the namesake for my nickname, Hattie.

"Thank you, Hattie," she said kindly, looking to the heavens before glancing down to see David running past Nancy who had a hot plate of food in her arms. "David Jeremiah, slow down!"

"It was nice talking to you, Miss Rebecka," I said and smiled, but she didn't seem to hear since she was running after her youngest son.

Constance walked over to me and asked to walk with me. She linked arms with me, to my discomfort, as we walked around the property. We were silent for a moment before she spoke.

"The farm is so bonny," she whispered to break the silence.

"Indeed it is," I nodded in agreement.

"I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday," Constance said nervously before handing me a long, thin, rectangular wrapped package. "I got this for ye."

"Oh," I said, looking down at the package in my hand. "You didn't have to."

"Please, open it," Constance said, gesturing to the gift. I opened the brown paper wrapping to reveal a sheet of music. Da used to get me a sheet every year. "I know you're missin' yer da so I thought—"

"Thank you," I said, looking up at Constance as tears threatened to spill. I was quite the emotional mess today. I was conflicted since I didn't consider us close but this, I admitted, was a kind gesture and I didn't know what to do with it.