19

Preparations

We pulled up to the Rickmans' driveway before Uncle Gillan helped us all out. Out of the front door of the house came Miss Rebecka, who was carrying David on her hip.

"Thank you for coming early to help, Maisie," Miss Rebecka said, hugging my aunt. "I am a bit behind with some cooking and cleaning, but that's what I get for only birthing sons."

"I'm happy to help any time," Aunt Margarette replied with a laugh, hugging the redheaded woman back. "Is there anything specific you need done?"

"As always, Maisie." Miss Rebecka laughed, putting David down to pick up some white cloth from the steps. "If the girls could place these tablecloths on the tables out back, that'd be much appreciated."

"What does that leave me with?" my aunt asked as Miss Rebecka handed Constance, Nancy, and me the tablecloths.

"You will help me in the kitchen." Miss Rebecka paused before turning to us. "Would one of you help us in the kitchen? I forgot about the cake and need another pair of hands."

"I'll help." Constance stepped forward. "If that's all right with you, ma'am."

"Of course that's all right!" Miss Rebecka said as she clapped her hands together. "And girls, can you take David with you? He's been asking for 'Hatts' and 'Nan' all day!"

"Of course," I asked, flushing. I was honored that the little boy wanted to spend time with us. "Hello, David."

"Want to go with Hatts and Nan?" Miss Rebecka asked her son in a soft tone. He nodded before climbing down the stairs to come with us.

I offered him my hand, which he took, before we ventured after Nancy to find the tables that Miss Rebecka was talking about. Not long after we came across the backyard, we saw a few tables set out in the yard. There was a white banner across two trees, but that was all the decoration used. We started to place down the tablecloths when a spurt of wind whipped my tablecloth away as it started to fly across the yard and into the field.

"I'll be back!" I said as I ran after the flying tablecloth, letting Nancy take care of David. I leaped over the fence, hopping over the freshly plowed rows to chase the cloth which was now tumbling in the dirt, making it all brown and scuffed up. I did enjoy running though. Since my illness had me coughing, I was not able to run for so long, but now that I was mostly healed, I could enjoy the activity once more. I loved the feeling of wind rushing past me.

I saw a figure in the distance as the cloth and me both neared it. It was Walter Rickman. He stepped away from his plow, easily snatching the cloth from the air.

"Windy, ain't it?" Wally said, after I came within hearing distance.

"Sure is," was my reply as I crossed my arms, the wind chilling them. Out here without trees to block the wind, it seemed to try to toss me up like the cloth.

"You here to help Mama?" he asked, rolling the cloth up before handing it to me. "Oh, I'll let you fold it since you are a capable young woman."

"Very funny," I said, raising my brows as I took it from him. "I'm trying to help your ma, at least."

"Well, I'm sure Mama is happy for any help," Wally said with a smile. "Her six boys can't exactly help her all the time."

"Six boys?" I asked in surprise. "I thought there were only four of you."

"Henry Jr. is writing full-time in Chicago since his wife passed away and Levi got married while in teacher's school and now has two young'uns of his own."

"So, Kenneth is next?" I asked, thinking about the brother's engagement party that was later tonight.

"Yep," Wally said, crossing his arms. "Then Nathan, there's me, and then there's David."