12

Excalibur

The roads of Tuckerton were dustier than usual today, as Nancy, Constance, and I walked down them on this sunny day. I was carrying an egg basket, Constance the money, and Nancy a basket for the canned goods Aunt Margarette had made. Other than the strawberry preserves, my aunt had made dandelion jelly, violet syrup, and tomato jelly, which was strange to me. I had never known that one could make jelly and syrups out of dandelions and violets, but they were delicious.

Up ahead, I saw Essie walking alone ahead of us. Nancy and I waved before all of us met on the road.

"Where are you three headed?" Essie asked us as she fell into step beside us.

"To go run errands for Mama," Nancy said. "Deliver the jelly and eggs, and get the mail. We weren't able to get it when it came since we were so busy canning."

"Oh, your mama's tomato jelly is my favorite on toast," Essie said, smiling brightly. "And I'm heading to the post office right now to deliver a letter if you'd like to tag along."

"We've got to deliver these first." Nancy sighed, lifting up the basket of canned goods.

"Constance and I can take them," I said, glancing at Constance before looking at my cousin. "We might as well be efficient if we are to split up. You go with Essie while Constance and I will head over to see Bernie."

"All right," Nancy said, handing the basket to Constance before turning to Essie to walk down to the post office.

"Don't let Richie get in your head," I called after them with a chuckle before turning to Constance, who seemed a bit down. "Are you alright, Constance?"

"Yes, I'll be fine," she said, nodding her head. "Let's finish the errands."

She quickened her pace and I followed suit. We walked down the boardwalk to the general store to see Marten sweeping off the steps.

"Morning," he said, nodding his head and opening the door for us.

"Thanks." I let Constance enter first. Inside the store, it seemed pretty devoid of people, including my cousin Bernie. I would have thought he would be at work today.

"Ah, hello!" a voice said behind me. I turned, smiling as I saw it was Bernie.

"Hello," I said, placing the egg basket on the counter. "Aunt Margarette wanted to sell these eggs and some jellies and jams." I gestured to the basket in Constance's arm which she set on the counter.

"Ah, let me see," Bernie said, wiping his hands on his apron before walking behind the counter to look through the baskets. "Three dozen eggs for a dollar, and the canned goods for two."

I looked at Constance with wide eyes. That was a lot of money for food. Bernie opened the cash register, pulling out three dollars and setting the cash on the counter. Constance took it, placing it in the money pouch that Aunt Margarette entrusted her with.

"Are you ladies going home now?" Bernie asked, leaning on the counter as he shut the cash register, before handing us two baskets that were set aside behind the counter. "From last week."

"Thank you," I said, handing Constance one of the baskets. "We're going to go home after Nancy gets back from the post office."

"Ah, I see," Bernie said, before giving us both a broad smile. I turned to head out but paused when Constance didn't move.

"I just wanted to thank ye," Constance said, before hesitating a moment.

"Whatever for?" Bernie asked, chuckling.