11

The Dinner Guest

I pulled weeds out of the dry soil, chucking them into the ever-growing pile at the edge of the garden. After a couple more days, I had finally gotten into a system of working on the farm. It was different from work in the factory, which was very vigorous and quick-paced. While the farm was hard work, one could sit down while doing a job, and it was much more refreshing to be in the outdoor air.

Another good thing was that I hadn't gotten many urges to cough anymore, which was a relief. Da sending me here was a good idea, but it made me wonder if I'd be here forever or end up going back to Chicago. I wasn't sure how I felt on the subject, but I knew I missed Da. Yet Chicago was the last place I wanted to be at the moment.

Another thing was that I was actively avoiding Wally. I had done a good job so far at being away from him, until today. Uncle Gillan had asked him to pull out any large weeds that had gotten out of control after the rain the other day.

In the strawberry patch.

Where Bobby and I were working.

The weeds were called pigweed and were thick-stemmed and grew up to five feet tall if they weren't tamed. They also were somewhat slippery because of the smooth texture on the outside of the stems. Nancy and Constance were busy with laundry while my aunt and uncle were running errands in town, so it was up to me to help Bobby pick strawberries—with Wally around.

"Bobby, stop eating the strawberries," I said as I watched, wisps of my hair flying in front of my face. "You won't get any of the preserves if you keep eating them all now."

Bobby turned to face us, his face stained red from the juices. I cracked up, taking my apron to wipe off Bobby's face, but to no avail.His cheeks were stained.

"Bobby, take the strawberries in and go wash your face," I said, chuckling at my cousin, his bright eyes staring at me widely.

"But Papa said to help Wally weed after we were done," Bobby said, gesturing to the boy I was trying to ignore. I glanced Wally's way to see him toss another weed into the pile.

"You can come back," I said as Bobby started to lick his fingers and moseyed towards the house. "But you'd better hurry."

I wiped my reddened hands on my apron, before turning to look for the weeds. I sniffed, digging my feet into the ground as I yanked at a nearby weed, testing the endurance of it. It seemed to budge a bit. With one swift yank, I was able to pull it out of the ground. I straightened my posture, proud that I was strong enough to do so. But as I looked down at the size of the pigweed I pulled out compared to the thick one Wally did, I felt my pride wither. Tossing it aside in disappointment, I sat back down to pull the others out.

"You've got a good arm, milady," he said out of the blue. I looked at him, raising an eyebrow before silently continuing to pull at the weeds. "I realize I've been kinda rude to you." Wally fingered a smaller pigweed in his hand, turning it over as if it interested him. "I want to apologize for not acting like a gentleman and not respecting you when you want to do things yourself."

"I forgive you," I whispered before I cleared my throat to say it again. "I, uh, I forgive you. And I would like to apologize for acting out as well. I shouldn't have snapped at you in the past and let you be a gentleman. I'm just used to having to do it myself. I didn't want to be seen as weak...which I'm not."

"I forgive you, as well," Wally said, a smile on his face. I couldn't help but smile back before letting it drop.

"Papa and Mama are here!" Bobby yelled, jumping up and down as he rushed over. "Wally, Papa needs help unloading the wagon. And it's almost time for eating!"