Chapter four building something useful

"Wow, that's deep." Barbara said, she was fixing up my stab wound from earlier tonight.

I smirked.

"Seriously?" She asked me, with an unamused tone.

I was laying on a bed in the lower parts of the clock tower, as she patched up the only bad wound I've had in my life.

"What?" I asked. "I'm only sixteen." I told her, laughing. She pressed on the wound and I exclaimed in pain.

"Haha, you deser--wait! You're sixteen?" She asked with a shocked look on her face. She backed up her wheelchair a little bit. "You look thirteen."

I sat up and rested on my elbows. "Yeah, since about last week." I told her. She scoffed and resumed patching up my wound.

"I wouldn't suggest going out again for a bit, that's not gonna heal as quick as you think." She told me, as I winced from the pain.

A few minutes later she finished stitching it up, and I tried getting off the bed, but it hurt too much, so I just stayed on the bed for a little longer.

"And before you ask, it's going to take about three weeks to a month and a half to fully mend back together, so if I were you, I'd stay here with me." She suggested, I looked at her and smiled a bit. She was on the other side of the room, at a computer, probably working on an upgrade or on social media, or whatever twenty one year-old disabled girls do on computers.

"I wouldn't mind that, I have a few ideas in my mind that I want to build." I told her. She looked at me with a strange look on her face. I smiled some more. "And before you ask, yes I do know how to build stuff, I'm smarter than I look. I graduated early from all of my schools and started an attempt to major in engineering, and that's when the city went into chaos, and that's all you're gonna know about me...for now."

She looked over at me from the other side of the room as I sat up on the bed. "Dark, ominous, and a little bit cute. I don't mind, just don't wreck the place." We both laughed and I set off to the utility lab.

I got to the lab and started sketching up some blueprints on a blank white paper. Every few seconds I would mess up a line that needed to be straight and I forced myself to restart each and every drawing at each and every mistake.

Finally, after about half an hour, I finished the perfect sketch of something that I was planning to build. I walked over to the door, locked it, and started planning on how I was going to build it. It was extremely complicated, it needed complex wiring, welding and cutting of metal.

This is gonna take a while, I thought to myself. But, it'll be useful.

I proceeded to grab multiple metal beams and poles. I grabbed the welding machine beside me and put on a welding mask. I carefully welded pieces of metal together.

Slowly and steadily, I placed and secured some heavy duty pins in the slots that held each piece together. I started connecting wires to the machine, which connect to someone's brain.

Yay, neuroscience, I thought.

This was the first time I did a project this big, and it took almost fourteen hours to get all of the bars and poles connected AND put in and test the wires and connectors.

It was finally done. Fourteen hours of time, and it's finally done. Now for a field test.

I put the machine on and put my suit on, while attempting to not get caught by Barbara. She was sleeping, but I still couldn't make any noise.

The floor creaked and I froze in place, hoping that this happened often and that Barbara wouldn't wake up or care about it. I reached the balcony without being spotted by or alerting Barbara. I jumped off of the balcony and fell quickly. I hit the ground hard and the machine I built didn't even budge, nor made any sounds. It was all good.