Chapter three first deadly encounter

We've been hiding out in the clocktower for a day or two now. Barbara showed me all of the gadgets and weapons in here. There were batarangs, disruptors, and line-launchers to name a few.

It was amazing.

Just this morning she showed me the forensics and utility labs. The utility lab struck my interests.

She was smart, and really nice.

I looked over at her as she adjusted her glasses before looking away to her screen on the chair.

"Y'know, I might like it here." I told her, inspecting some of the tools and parts that were on the bench in front of me. She turned her chair toward me and looked me in the eyes.

"Well, you'll have to. It's the only place you have to stay." She told me.

I fiddled with the parts on the bench some more, I had something that I wanted to make in mind. I grabbed a flat screwdriver and screwed in some screws before stopping and looking back to her. She was sitting at the door, waiting for me to follow.

"Sorry." I said. "Got carried away."

"It's okay." She said to me as I walked out the door, she followed.

I walked toward the computer desk at the end and took my mask off of the console.

"Hey." She said calmly, immediately getting my attention. "When you go out, why don't you leave the guns here, you haven't really needed them by the looks of it. Besides, your powers make you basically untouchable."

I pondered on the thought for a second. I looked over at the corner of the room at the pile of guns and ammunition that were never used, and never will be used.

"You can even take some of the gadgets here, only as long as you don't kill anybody." She said, pointing her finger to all the cases of gadgets and weapons. I quickly looked at all of the cases of gadgets and walked toward them.

"Yeah, sure, I'll try 'em out." I said, opening the case and grabbing a few of the small machines and putting them in my belt. I took a grapnel gun, a non-lethal explosive gel gun, and a disruptor.

"Oh, and try to come back here if you get hurt, I can fix you up." She told me as I approached the glass wall leading to the balcony at the far end of the room.

I opened the giant door and walked out onto the giant balcony that gave a pretty beautiful view of the horizon of Gotham. Other than the constant explosions and screaming, this place would feel really peaceful.

I put my mask on, hopped over the railing, and sat on it, and my feet were hanging down and I took a good, long deep breath. Finally, I dropped down to the ground quickly.

I landed hard and quick. Though it somehow didn't hurt. I brought up a holographic screen on my wrist and called Barbara.

"Why didn't that hurt?" I asked her as soon as her face popped up on the screen. She froze at the question.

"Oh." She began. "Um...I--uh--kind of upgraded your suit. Sorry, I should have asked you first. You were sleeping and I--"

"No, you don't have to apologize, if you hadn't upgraded the suit, my legs would probably be hurting all night." I interrupted her while walking down the street.

"Oh." She said quickly. "Uh...bye then, and you're welcome." She closed the screen as I focused on the vehicle I left on the other side of the street the other day.

I opened the door and sat in the drivers seat. The key was still in here. I hesitantly placed my hand on the small piece of metal and twisted it. I heard a click in the engine and I knew immediately what it was.

A bomb.

I quickly opened the door as time slowed. I began running away as flames erupted from underneath the dark grey SUV. But by the time it has actually exploded and blown up, I was already a block away.

Shouting erupted from behind me.

Dammit, thugs, I thought to myself. I'm not gonna deal with them.

I grabbed the grapnel gun from my belt and shot it at the rooftop of a near building. The gun pulled me from the ground quickly and I felt the wind blowing in through long hair. When I reached the top of the building I was launched in the air a little bit, but not much. I landed safely on my feet and began free running.

Buildings to telephone wires, billboards to lampposts, the joy and sensation of free running through the now quiet city was refreshing.

Until I was hit in the head with a rock while jumping between buildings. Time quickly turned into slow motion. I slowly fell toward the ground, and when I was fully aware that I was falling, I quickly recovered and landed on my feet.

"You little ass!" I scolded out loud and looked around for the person who threw the rock. There was no one in sight. In an alley way across the street, there were some leaves being rustled, but there was no wind.

I walked toward the noise and walked into the alley. Something bad always happened in places like these. The quiet sound of windows closing, doors shutting and the occasional cat meowing echoed in the narrow alley.

Footsteps at the end of the small alleyway caught my attention. I rushed down and saw a teen boy attempting to jump up to a window on the second storey of a building, but he was too short, even while standing on a dumpster.

"Hey!" I shouted, he turned around and jumped off of the dumpster. "You the douche that hit me with the rock? Bet you are."

He spread his arms and clenched his fist. "Yeah, I am! What are you gonna do? Huh?" He taunted.

"You're gonna pay for that punk!" I clenched my fist and advanced toward him.

He reached behind his back and pulled out something that I couldn't make out. He hit me in the stomach way before I could react. If screamed in pain and fell to my knees. He let go of the item and climbed back up on the dumpster.

He jumped and caught the window by his fingertips, pulled himself up and then jumped to a ledge behind him. Climbing up onto the roof, he started running, and from there on, I couldn't see him anymore.

I pried the item out of the lower right part of my stomach and examined it. It was a Strider CMFK Black D2 Military Knife.

How the fuck did that KID get a knife like this, and why would he leave it? I thought to myself.

I sat down on my butt and held the wound so it wouldn't bleed any more. I put up the holographic screen on my wrist and called Barbara.

She answered immediately and gasped at the sight of the blood filling and covering my hand. "Don't worry!" She shouted. "I'll send the batmobile to come and get you! Try to get to the street." I nodded as I began to feel light headed.

I crawled toward the street as I heard the batmobile's tires screech to a quick stop right in front of me.

I climbed in, the knife still in my hand, and the wound hurting even more and spilling blood all over the seat of the batmobile.

The canopy covered me and the inside of the vehicle went dark. It was soon lit up by the lights of all the computers and gauges. It was amazingly cool.

I fell asleep, and by the time I woke up, I was already at the clock tower, and Barbara was waiting for me at the main doors.

How'd she get down here? I thought to myself. Well, how'd she get up there in the first place?

I looked up at the top of the tower before climbing out of the huge vehicle.

She brought me to the top and started patching up the deep wound.