Pandora's Box

"Shhh Carrie-girl, you're safe. You're okay. Nobody is ever going to hurt you again, I promise. I won't let them."

Damon. It was Damon holding me. It was Damon's voice speaking to me so softly, reassuring me. It was his arms wrapped around me, holding me securely, making me feel safe. Protected.

"I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you from what was done to you in your past, but you're here now, and nobody is ever going to do any of that to you ever again. You will always have food now, and clothes, and everything else you need. I promise you."

Damon's voice didn't quite sound normal. It sounded strained, choked-up. Was he crying? It sounded like it, but I didn't think he was. Not my big, strong Mafia-leader brother. I doubted someone who was in charge of a Mafia would cry. They were tougher than that; they had to be.

I didn't respond; I didn't need to. What was there for me to say?

Nobody spoke. The silence was deafening. Damon sat up, taking me with him, cradling me against his chest on the floor. I wrapped my arms around him and snuggled in against him, burying my face in his shirt, breathing in the scent of his cologne. I didn't want to face any of my brothers. I didn't even want to face Damon. I don't know if he sensed that or not, but he let me hide from everyone, safe against his broad chest.

Seconds passed. Minutes. Silence remained. Were my brothers even still in the room? Maybe they weren't, now that they knew I was with Damon. After all, it wasn't like they could do anything for me. Damon would take care of me.

"Of course I feel sorry for her but-" Logan was cut off, and I heard footsteps, scuffling feet, as if someone was dragging him away.

"You called her a bitch!" I heard Jack reprimanding him.

Damon stiffened, but I remained still. I wanted to hear what Logan had to say. It was hard to hear with them obviously being in another room, but if I listened carefully, I could make out the words.

"I know." Logan at least sounded apologetic now, but it was too little too late as far as I was concerned.

"I shouldn't have done that. Or lost it at her," he admitted. "It's horrible what she's been through. I wanted to throw up."

I smiled.

"But why does her horrible childhood mean I can't hang out with my friends without her tagging along? I don't annoy her when she's got her friends here. She's got that stupid girly crush on Jaxon and it's not fair on us for her to push her way in. Jaxon was nice to her because he felt sorry for her, for what happened after the pool party, but that wears you out, you know? It's not fair."

My smile faded. Is that what he really thought?

"The novelty of having a sister is wearing off, is it?" Nick sounded angry. "Because me and you can go down to the gym right now if that's the case."

Damon stiffened again, and I thought he was going to get up and go in there, but something stopped him. I don't know what it was, but I'm grateful for it, because I wanted to finish listening. I wanted to see where this conversation was going. I wanted to know the truth about how Logan really felt about me.

"No!" Logan's voice was loud, a bit scared. "No, that's not even it. I'm glad she's back and I'll protect her with my life. You know that! But sometimes I just want to be able to do stuff with my friends without her. Just like she does, like you all do."

I could hear my other brothers talking but it was too quiet for me to make out so I held my breath, hoping that would help.

"Damon's such a hypocrite." At that, I think every muscle in Damon's body stiffened.

"The day we had the pillow fight when she screamed at him, Alex had to hold him back. He lost it. Yet I get in trouble for reacting when she kicks me in the balls?" Logan sounded really upset now. Not angry, but more like he'd been betrayed. There was more murmuring amongst my brothers but I don't know what was said. Agreement? Placating words? I couldn't tell. But whatever it was, it was obviously too much for Damon because his grip tightened around me and he clambered to his feet, holding me in his arms close against his body. I wrapped my arms around my neck and squished closer to him, holding onto him as he strode into the same place my brothers were.

"You're right Logan, I did come close to losing it at Carrie that day. It was good that Alex stepped in when he did. But I still wouldn't have hit her. And that's something you'll have to learn. When you're in our business you can't afford to lose control of your anger for even a second because it can mean death. You have to learn to be in control, always. No matter how much pain you're in, or how mistreated you're being."

I didn't know if anyone else could tell, but Damon's heart was thudding rapidly, beating against his chest so loudly I was surprised my brothers couldn't hear it. He was obviously upset, but I think he was hiding it well. Damon adjusted his grip on me, holding me tighter. He clearly had no intention of putting me down but I didn't mind. I enjoyed being in my big brothers arms, and I didn't want to look at Logan right now anyway.

"You can go down to the gym with Nick and work off some of that anger," Damon ordered.

"But you already punished me!" Logan protested, fear tinging his tone.

"This isn't a punishment. It's therapy. Nick, go easy on him."

"He never goes easy on me!" Logan protested. "He doesn't know how to!"

"He'd better, or he'll answer to me," Damon growled. "Nick, he's been punished enough."

Nick snorted, and I could only imagine the look on his face.

"I mean it, Nick." Damon sounded stern, angry. "Don't hurt him."

There was silence for a minute. Nobody moved. I could imagine there being some kind of a staring stand-off with Damon glaring at Nick, silenting reminding him who was in charge, and Nick refusing to back down. I knew he would, ultimately, but he'd make Damon prove his authority first.

A smile crept over my face. It was good not being the center of attention for being naughty, it was good one of my brothers was in the hot seat for a change.

"I'll supervise," Alex volunteered.

I felt Damon nod just once. "Good."

I heard my brothers walk off to the gym and as their footsteps faded into the distance I wondered if my world would ever be the same again, or had the feelings I'd opened up broken us?