Pranks

It took Jack ages to finish his lunch with me sitting on his lap, but he didn't make me move. He just held me there, balanced on his thigh, his arm around my waist, and ate with one hand. Rocco and Logan had long since finished and taken their plates inside by the time Jack and I were done. Well, Jack was done, anyway. I was mostly just moving the food around on my plate. I had no appetite and really didn't feel like eating. Thankfully, Jack didn't push it.

Rocco went off to do something, but Logan and Jack stayed with me. It was quite sweet actually, how Logan had barely left my side. I knew he wanted to comfort me and protect me, but it almost seemed like more than that. It almost seemed like he needed the reassurance and comfort of Jack, nearly as much as I did.

Beside me, Logan was looking at his phone screen and laughing away to himself.

"What's so funny?" Jack asked, leaning over for a better look.

"Watch this." Logan tilted his phone screen towards us so we could see.

He was watching pranks on TikTok and I giggled as someone threw a dart at a balloon filled with flour, fastened to the roof, just as someone walked underneath it. It was hilarious!

"We should do that to Rocco!" I said excitedly.

Logan looked at me skeptically.

"Rocco? He'll kill us!"

I shook my head. "Nah he won't. He's a softie."

Logan scoffed and Jack grinned.

"I'm pretty sure there's some balloons around here somewhere," Jack said. "And there's flour in the kitchen." He stood up, plonking me on the seat next to Logan. "Sit here with Logan for a sec, I'm going to see if the balloons are where I think they are."

I shuffled across so I was closer to Logan, so close that our knees were touching. I rested my head on his shoulder as he showed me the prank again and we both laughed.

"We should totally do it," I said.

"Yeah," Logan agreed. "But to Rocco?"

"He's the only one here," I said. "The others are all off busy with work, aren't they? They might not be back for hours. But Rocco is here and it will be pretty easy to get him to come to where we want him. I can just text him. He'll fall for it, guaranteed."

Having something fun to think about, to plan, took my mind off what had happened to me, and made me feel so much happier.

A few minutes later, Jack returned holding a yellow balloon in his fist.

"Here's a balloon," Jack said, handing it to me. "But don't get me involved in this prank of yours."

I grinned. "Why not? Are you scared of Rocco? Chicken!" I giggled and poked him in the ribs.

"I'm not scared of anyone," Jack declared. "But I'm the adult here, remember?"

"So adults can't play pranks on their brothers?" I asked.

"Nah he's just scared of Rocco, sis," Logan said.

Jack reached out to smack him upside the head but Logan danced out of the way.

"I will film it for you though, okay?" Jack said.

"Yes!" I hugged him around the waist. "Make sure you zoom it in when the flour lands on him."

Jack hugged me back. "You're evil, you know that?"

Logan and I went into the kitchen and filled the balloon with flour, tied string tightly around the neck, and decided where would be the best place to put it.