Chapter 26: Jack Breaks

Start from the beginning

The smile broke. "Who do you think gave us permission to use it?"

Jack was stunned. "And... and she knew you were going to destroy it?"

"Of course. I mean, it was my idea, but she approved it. She said it was a symbol of her past that she shouldn't cling to any longer. Do you honestly think we'd do this without her permission? Now then, my good men, we've got a lot of TNT to move."

Fundy and Jack exchanged worried glances.

"But what about the residents of Kinoko Kingdom?" Jack asked.

Wilbur shrugged. "What about them?"

"Won't they be hurt or killed?" Fundy added.

"Probably." A strange sound, like a laugh, bubbled up from Wilbur's throat. "I should hope so. We are- we are going to raze Kinoko to the ground, afterall. That giant mushroom, alone, should kill quite a few. But don't worry, I've taken care to avoid Karl and Sapnap in our plans."

"Dad! There are other people in Kinoko Kingdom besides Karl and Sapnap!"

"Not other people who matter. A few deaths should help persuade them to see things our way."

"You're a psychopath," Jack said, hoping a little employment of hyperbole would snap Wilbur out of his frightening tone. He had to be joking. No normal human could be that callous about the staggering loss of life Wilbur was suggesting.

Wilbur's brow furrowed, then a wide grin spread across his face. "I've been- I've been hearing that a lot lately. It's good to know people are finally listening. I really don't understand why everyone acts so surprised by that. It's not like I've kept it a secret."

Jack couldn't tell if Wilbur was messing with him or not. If he was, he was taking it way too far. "Are you at least going to give them a chance to surrender?" Jack asked.

"That's not my call."

"But if it were...?" Fundy ventured, Jack could see the hopeful gleam in the fox's terrified eyes. Fundy was clearly just as worried as he was.

"Oh, I would, I certainly would. If for no other reason than to see the looks on their faces when they saw how much dynamite we had under their city."

Fundy gave a sigh of relief.

"Then I'd trigger it while they watched." Wilbur laughed. "So long Kinoko Kingdom!" he giggled. He grabbed a pickaxe and shouldered a stack of dynamite. "It'd be a thing of beauty, a crater to rival L'Manberg. The third movement of my magnum opus! And that, my good men- that is nothing compared to my grand finale!" Wilbur walked into the tunnels of the underground city, whistling a sprightly tune.

Jack caught Fundy's amber eyes.

"He's got to be joking, right?" Jack asked. "He's just messing us around."

"Yeah," Fundy agreed, but his voice quavered nervously. "Yeah, probably just a joke."

"Well, what's keeping you?" Wilbur's voice echoed from within. "There'll be plenty of time to steal private moments when the work is done."

Jack felt his face redden, he could see Fundy grimace, his orange and white fur standing on end.

"Sorry about my dad," Fundy blurted out. "I don't know why he just said-"

Jack shook his head. "He's been on it for a while now. I have a few theories but I can't be sure why. Maybe he wants us to get together like he thinks it'll solidify us behind him, but I think he's just trying to get me off balance and maybe even get me to stay away from you." He shrugged. "I honestly don't know. Wilbur runs so many games on top of games, I don't think I'll ever understand him."