Chapter 24: The Trial of Eret

Jack hurried to the casino that now served as the prison. A crowd was gathered in front of the steps. He tapped Foolish on the shoulder. "Foolish," he asked. "Have you seen Fundy?"

"Not since yesterday," Foolish shrugged.

Jack felt himself being pressed into others. "What's going on?"

"They arrested Eret. Apparently, Quackity was staying with them."

"Eret? Why would Quackity-" Jack's brow furrowed, then he remembered. Eret was Big Q's first ex. "Oh! Ohhhh... No wonder Wilbur was in such a sh-tty mood yesterday."

Foolish held a finger to his lips. "Shhh, it's starting."

"Wait? Foolish, is Wilbur back yet?"

Foolish shook his head and pointed to the front where Dream had just walked out of the building in full armor. He removed his helmet and held it under his arm.

"People of Las Nevadas, today you are here to witness the trial of Eret for the crime of providing aid, comfort, and safety to the fugitives Quackity, Tubbo, and Tommy Innit. Bring out the prisoner."

Purpled led the way as two guards escorted Eret to the place where Dream waited. Jack wasn't sure how Eret could look so calm standing face to face with Dream. They had to know what the penalty was for helping Quackity!

"Eret, evidence was found in your castle proving you were harboring Quackity. If you tell us where Quackity can be found, the court will show mercy on you."

No answer came.

"Tell me where Quackity is," Dream demanded as Eret stood before him on the steps of the casino.

Eret stood resolutely silent.

"Tell me or I'll strip you of your crown." Dream's control was quickly slipping.

"Just tell him," Jack whispered as if Eret could hear his plea.

"A king doesn't answer to a despot," Eret said.

Dream's shoulders shuddered with rage. "A king no more. I strip you of your role and your crown. You have been found guilty of providing aid and comfort to the fugitives Quackity, Tubbo, and Tommy Innit. In accordance with the law, you will be executed until you are dead in three days."

Jack couldn't take anymore! He turned and strode as quickly as he could away from the scene. Eret had been stripped of their crown, they were going to die. For what? Showing some kindness and love to their former fiancé? Not wanting to help kill that same person? It was mad! This whole f-ing city was insane!

He needed a drink of something cheap and strong. He needed a whole f-ing bottle. The kind of trash that wiped a whole mind clean in a matter of minutes. But it wouldn't do him any good, he'd still be here when he woke up.

He might be arrested when he woke up. Who knew what he'd say about Dream and Wilbur when he was drunk, especially Wilbur who'd stolen his prototype. He suddenly wondered if that was why Fundy always drank juice.

"Jack, I didn't expect to see you out and about today." Jack found himself staring up into Wilbur's face, a smile teasing on his lips.

"How f-ing could you?" Jack hissed. "We had a deal!"

Wilbur put on something of a look of surprise. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean! The prototype!"

Wilbur glanced around. "Let's talk- let's talk about this someplace more private."

Jack paced back and forth in the lab as Wilbur sat watching.