Chapter 3

It was another dull and lonely day filled with nothing but happy animals going off to their day. Everything annoyed Cypher, the bright shining sun that seemed to highlight the beauty of the lands, the winged animals that soared across the sky, the critters that crawled across the earth, every fucking thing was an irritation. Like why was everything so cheerful when he felt like he was dying inside? He had not felt any positive emotions since a year ago and it seemed he never would again. Often times he stood on the cliff edge, contemplating, whether or not, he should take the coward's way out like his father and jump or continue to live his bleak existence.

"Cypher!" Alpha Max called from outside of his cabin. He contemplated whether or not he wanted to answer or just ignore him, but he knew better. He knew that if he ignored Max for too long, he would just burst open his front door.

"Alpha, I'm coming," he said in a voice that was so course from lack of use. He had become antisocial and a loner for the past few months and his voice was so coarse from not talking. The only one that socialized with him was Finn and occasionally Don and Miles but those were one-sided at best.

He rolled himself out of bed, not bothering to drag on some clothes, all he wore was his boxers and nothing more. He didn't even bother to slip on his slippers before walking across the cold tile. Swinging open the front door to the blinding light, he hissed his displeasure as the rays hit his eye sockets.

"Wow, you really do look different since I last saw you a couple of months ago. You're like a living Santa Claus in color!" Max greeted and the only response he got was a grunt as Cypher stepped back into the shade of his cabin. "This has carried on for too long now! Don't you think you have punished yourself enough?"

"What do you know? You have a mate!" he said and turned towards his kitchen.

"And you don't? In case you've forgotten, the moon goddess is likely to give you a worthy mate, and sorry to say this but Rose wasn't. She would have made you miserable and you know it!"

"You weren't born off the Wulfric bloodline so you would never understand. We are curse to suffer heartache no matter what." Filling the kettle with water to make tea, he took two mugs out of his cabinet.

"That's bullshit and you know it!" Max said with annoyance. Even as a child Cypher had always believed that but even more when his mother died than his father years later.

"You would never understand it!" he said as he slammed the kettle onto the stove and turned the fire on.

"Like hell, I won't! It's been a year, Cypher. You are slowly turning yourself into a lone wolf and growing a fricking mountain man beard. Even your hair is long to your shoulders. You look untamed and wild. Because of you, no one wants to come into this area because quite frankly, you are scary."

Cypher turned his back to him, knowing it was true, but he couldn't help it. He was rejected by his mate, and he did everything in his power to make her happy but ultimately, she chose wealth and power over him. Even if he got another mate, what could he possibly offer her other than love and he learned that love just wasn't enough.

"What do you want?" he replied and pulled his special dried tea mix from the shelf and preceded to make the teas.

If it was anyone else, Max would have taken it as an insult, but Cypher was hurting and as his Alpha, he could feel it. That was why he was doing this for him. He needed this as much as the wolf nation needed the information. He was giving him purpose in his life again.

"I have a task for you that is extremely dangerous if you get caught but the information you get will be valuable in saving the lives of half-breeds, human mates, and the Turned."

Cypher stiffened and paused in his tea-making. Just because he was suffering doesn't mean that he wanted anyone else to suffer. He would not wish this pain on anyone else, not even an enemy.

***

The sun was blinding in his eyes and the heat it produced seared his flesh. It had been that long since he had been outside in the sun. He refused to shave and look presentable to the new pack he was going to infiltrate. He had a plan, and he was going to execute it to perfection, even though Max didn't like it. Cypher was the expert in these areas with his combat training and master planning, he was sure he would succeed in his endeavors. On his way to the bike that was parked in front of the pack house, he saw Finn and a young lady leaving the pack house together. He gave Finn a nod of acknowledgment and swung his feet over the smooth leather seat of the bike. To his surprise, the two made a beeline for him and he scold, the last thing he wanted was to strike up another conversation for the day. He mentally and physically braced himself for socializing as the female came up to him, grabbed his arm, and said...

"On your journey, you will find the one you seek!"

Her entire eyes were glossed over in pure black with swirls of silver. She released him with a puzzled look and her eyes went back to their original state. She stepped back and mumbled her apology and Cypher looked at Finn who looked puzzled. She walked away without any further response and Finn followed suit. She smelt of Max and he figured that she must have been Max's mate, Carmeta.

She's an odd one. He thought as he brought the great beast alive and pulled out of the driveway. What she said puzzled him, but he refused to look into it any further. He had a mission to do, and he was going to do it no matter what, but he had to get some supplies to remove the scent of his pack from his skin and make it more earthy for he was going to make himself into a rogue.

Carmeta felt a chill to her very bones. She wasn't sure what happened just now, and she knew it couldn't possibly be her Mate Seeker gift for she wasn't fully mated to Max yet. Whatever it was that came over her left her feeling uncomfortable in her own skin like she wasn't used to her body.