Chapter 2

Every year he dragged himself to these events and it was a major disappointment every time. One could practically smell the desperation of wolves as they searched for their mates. He was one of them but every year he got less and less hopeful. It was rare for the males in his bloodline to have a mate and if they did, misfortune always plagued them. His father was one of the lucky few and even he ended up losing her. He was only fourteen when his mother was killed by human hunters when she was in her wolf form. After that tragic event, his father was like a zombie until his eighteenth birthday, when his father committed suicide. It was a devastating time for him but luckily, he had his best friend, Finn, and his other friends, Max, Don, and Miles to support him.

Now he was standing in a mixer hosted by the Ash Band Pack, sipping on a fruity cocktail while he both looked relaxed enough to put everyone looking at ease but on alert to protect Alpha Max. The mixer had hundreds of conversations swirling around the large garden hall. All sounds competed with the smooth jazz music that dominated the atmosphere. The crowd was filled with mostly young, hopeful wolves dying for a chance to meet their mates and interact with wolves from other packs. Cypher winded his way through the warm bodies to trail his alpha as he ordered drinks from the open bar area, knowing that he could easily get a waitress to get them for him. Before the drink was poured, he felt the warmth of someone melting their body to his from behind, as they rushed past him. He paused in his continuous scan of the room and the potential surrounding threats to follow the top of a cherry blonde hair bouncing its way through the crowd in a hurry. That slight brush to his body woke something deep in him and his wolf peeped his head from his restful slumber. It took Finn slightly elbowing him in his stomach for him to tear his eyes from the magnificent beauty of a female's head back.

"You okay man?" Finn said with a smirk on his face.

"Clearly not! I told him he needed to get laid before he came here. All these hormones must be working up his poor wolf" Miles laughed while he gave Cypher a slight pat on his back.

"I don't need to get laid. I just...forget it. It's nothing." Cypher said with a slight shake of his head. The last thing he needed was to get the illusion that miss cherry blonde could be his mate.

"Who's getting laid?" Alpha Max said as he turned to the group. He sucked on a huge glass of Pina Colada through a wooden straw as he looked at each of the men.

"No one!", "Cypher!" Cypher and Miles replied while Finn gave a soft chuckle.

"Good for you Cypher. You do need to release some sexual tension. The men were starting to complain about your training recently."

"Training? It's more like a torture session. Luckily I don't have to train with him every day, I feel sorry for our enforcers."

"First of all, those lazy buggers need to train more but I'm going easy on them. Second of all, they are front-line defense, if they can't handle what I'm dishing them, they should just quit! Besides, I'm not interested in getting laid".

"That's a shame. I guess you wouldn't mind if I sacked it with the blondie, you were eyeing earlier then." Miles said then a warning rumble tore from Cypher, out of nowhere, which surprised both him and everyone except Miles, who just gave a soft laugh. "You should go talk to her, we got it here bro. Between my temper and Finn's eye for detail plus the four elite enforcers you brought, it would be a death sentence for anyone to try something with Max. Plus he's deadly himself."

Cypher thought about it for a while and was going to reject the offer, after all, he was on duty, but he got a side profile of the cherry blonde beauty from the corner of his eyes through the hall window and decided to pursue his growing obsession. Without a second thought, he spun on his heels and headed straight to the five feet cherry blondie who was busy gripping the life of what was left of the clipboard and arguing with a male wolf. When the male wolf started to get animated his wolf perked up and went on alert. He widened his stride and came right up to her. He pulled her slightly away from the male and inserted his body between them. A slight shock went through his body and went straight to his cock.

"Is everything okay?" he asked her as he stared into her eyes. Her eyes, which were an exquisite shade of dark green, flashed with surprise for a moment but then the male wolf said something in Spanish, and her eyes sliced back to the man with anger.

"You idiot! I told you that I needed you to cater for five hundred people, not three hundred. How do you call yourself a professional!"

"Listen you confirmed everything with me two days before the event. Do you really think I could magically add on two more hundred persons?" The man said with his Spanish accent which seemed to get thicker the more he got angry.

"Then you should have said you couldn't do it and I could have found someone else!" she screamed and threw the clipboard at the man, who dodged with ease.

"No sensible businessperson would take that on as such a short time."

"Oh yeah!" She said and threw her hands up, ready to get in a punching match with him.

"Listen, man, I'll deal with this. You just get out of here" Cypher said as he gripped her arm, refusing to let her go.

"Mmm excuse me? I'm not done with him. Get back here you coward!" she shouted as the man ran off to his vehicle, happily leaving Cypher to deal with the crazy lady.

"Well, it is best to let him go since arguing with him isn't going to solve your problem and you are drawing unwanted attention and I know you don't want that. I'm Cypher, Cypher Wulfric, Wolf Creed Pack Enforcer Trainer, and Head Elite Enforcer Captain," he said, releasing her arm and stretching out his hand to her.

"Rose Llop, Ash Band Pack Major Events Coordinator," she said and shook his outstretched hand. "Sorry, you had to see me like this. The event is just falling apart because the alpha is a big idiot who does everything last minute, so I end up scrambling like a mad woman," she said with a huge exhale.

"I might be able to solve your food shortage problem if you don't mind serving truck barbeque food."

"Honestly I will take anything at this point. Thanks!" she responded then went over to her clipboard while Cypher texted his food truck friend, Pong, to cater for the event."

"He said give him thirty minutes; he needs to get some supplies then he'll set up."

"Tell him thanks. You both are life savers."

They spent the rest of the night discovering each other as mates, relaxing in the hall gardens, talking, and doing among other things. Excitement laced every symbol of every word or sound, happy in finding each other and that was the beginning of Cypher and Rose until she betrayed him for another. But Cypher was a smart man, a genius really, so he should have seen the signs of her being a social climber. She only seemed interested in her position in his pack if they made their mating official. A huge argument almost broke out when he told her that he turned down the Gamma position when Max asked, and he suggested Miles as a better fit. In all honesty, he was a simple man who liked simple things and a position of major authority was just not for him. He had a minor-tempered wolf, at best, who only wanted to goof off eighty percent of the time. She couldn't seem to understand that and insisted that he spoke to Max about taking the position. He agreed even though he knew he would be miserable in it, but anything for his mate.

In the end, she picked another mate who was a rich Alpha from one of the Royal Asian lineages. Despite this alpha wolf having a disturbing history of being abusive and cheating on his previous mate, who ended up committing suicide to escape him, she went with him instead. Cypher gave her everything he possibly could, treated her with respect, and would rather die before he laid a threatening hand on her. He gave her love and security, and she threw it in his face, claiming that he was nothing but worthless trash who couldn't and wouldn't ever be able to keep a mate if he ever found another. Those words hurt like a knife to the chest, even after a year!