46. The Best Drunk Driver in the State of New York

Start from the beginning

"You've been really busy this week," I point out, which is putting it mildly, to be honest. Between family stuff and meeting up with people she hasn't seen in a while, Mia's been running around since she got to town. I can't complain too much because I've been running off with her a lot of the time, but I live here. I know it takes a toll when you're away from the comforts of home during the holidays. "It's hard trying to squeeze in time with lots of people when you're only visiting for a few days."

"Yeah, I definitely overscheduled myself," she nods, her voice soft. "It's just tricky when we only come out here every so often."

"True," I agree. My hand wanders over to her hair, flowing down in that champagne waterfall I love so much, and I rub a strand of curls between my fingers. "But I think we'll manage to get you out here a little more often from now on," I add with a wink. "Considering you're mine and all."

"We'll see," she says, giving me another smile before she turns her attention to the dash. We're pulling up in front of the community center, the parking lot is packed. I snag a space at the far end, enjoying the way Mia cranes her neck to get a better look at the building ahead of us. It's decked out in about a million lights and about every other outdoor decoration you can imagine. "I wonder who's all here?"

"The entire town, by the looks of it."

Mia lets out a soft laugh. "We don't have to stay long if you don't want to. I know community center shenanigans aren't your thing."

"Yeah, but you're my thing," I remind her, reaching over and taking a gentle hold of her chin. I turn her face toward mine, a force of magnetism bringing us in for a kiss. She tastes like marshmallows and happiness. "We can stay as long as you want."

"Okay," she nods as I step out of the car. In the passenger seat, she waits for me to come around and open her door before she climbs out.

My hand finds the small of her back as we walk inside together. "Don't leave me hanging with any of the weirdos," I mutter, dipping down to leave a kiss on her cheek. "If I look like I need rescued, you have to accept the mission."

Mia laughs again, then she throws on a serious face, her hand flying up to her forehead as she salutes a promise. "I give you my word, Adler."

***

It's official. I've spent so much time hating on the community center that I never even realized what they do. I knew they had the camp, my summer punishment made me well aware of that, and I knew they held talent shows because I've had to attend each one that Cece has danced in over the years. But I had no idea the full extent of their activities. Or the good they do. These people go all out.

Mia's been making the rounds for about an hour, sipping a cup of hot chocolate and catching up with her friends. I was walking around with her for a bit, but we got separated when she went on a bathroom run with a bunch of the girls. I found my way to the community bulletin board, and my vision is currently crowded with event flyers, signup sheets, and photographs of happy children.

Apparently, they don't just hold a day camp for kids whose parents are working all day in the summertime. They have a whole program during the school year, too, to keep kids occupied inside that lonely space between getting off the bus and when your parents get home.

They organize weekend packed lunches to make sure no one goes home hungry, hold multiple food drives for families who need the extra help, and even provide job placement services for people down on their luck. All at little to no cost. How do they even do that?

Behind me, I feel the presence of another body, two arms wrapping around my waist, Mia's forehead resting against my back. At least I hope it's Mia... if not, things are about to be very awkward.