Chapter Four

4

“Uh, wait- What? Can you repeat that?” My jaw practically hit the floor. So, to recap- it was a nice sunny day (well, it was now), Angel was probably dead, and the nightmare which ruined most of my childhood was standing in front of me smiling. “As I said, we’re here to help. We’re from the New Testing Facility. Unfortunately, we can’t tell you where it’s located, only give you clues. It’s top secret.”

“Right. So it’s safe to let you in? ‘Cause I remember quite clearly a couple of years ago, all the erasers had expiration dates and ended up dying.”

The eraser winced slightly at the comment but carried on speaking. “Jeb extracted the lupus gene and injected it into us in secret, taking safety precautions. Most of me is still human, I can just turn into a wolf when I want to, and I don’t suffer from any pain when transforming. None of us do,” he gestured to the others around him and they all nodded in agreement. “We don’t have expiration dates.”

“Hmm. I’ll see what the others think. Wait a sec.” They nodded as I walked into the front door. I closed it behind me and whispered to the flock, obviously breaking the silence. “There are erasers outside.”

“That’s what took you so long? Are you kidding? Max, they all died a couple of years ago. You know that.” Iggy whispered violently. I sighed in exasperation. “Why would I lie to you at a time like this? I’m being serious. They’ve come from the New Testing Facility to help us. If you don’t believe me, I’ll invite them in to show you.”

“Wait. I’ll check.” Gazzy darted across the room and stood on his tiptoes to peer through the peephole. He gasped. “She’s not lying, Iggy. But how-”

“I told you. Now do you want their help or not?” I was getting annoyed at this point. Iggy swallowed. “OK, let’s see what they have to offer.”