Chapter Three

3

Angel couldn't breathe. It was stuffy, wherever she was. She held back a scream as another needle went into her arm; it hurt so much. Her arms were swollen and aching from all the injections she'd undergone. It felt like an eternity since she'd seen the rest of the flock. Her throat was parched and she felt weak; she couldn't even open her eyelids. She wanted to, though, but she felt scared and tired and her head was between her knees because she felt like she was going to cry. Before she did, though, she reached out and grasped the mind of the person who was injecting her. He was eager to find out what she was. The first thing she found out was that this man knew she could read minds, and had various abilities which kept on piling up, such as breathing underwater, and he was eager to find out why this was happening to her. The thing about this situation was that he didn't only want to know that.

He wanted to cut her open to find out how it all worked, what was happening, and why she changed like she did. She shuddered out of his head, looked up and opened her eyes. Another whitecoat. She sighed. But she noticed she hadn't been to this lab before, she was sure of it. There had been many labs, but this one was different somehow. It seemed newer, although it still had the same gross antiseptic smell which she hated and had grown accustomed to. To her, the smell brought back nightmares of when she was younger, helpless, and being in a similar situation to this, but not as bad. She had no awareness then, and was only just learning how to use her mind-reading abilities. She was sharp as a bread knife, not like that was a very good metaphor. 

The man finally pulled out the syringe and stood up in front of her shiny new cage which was too small for her. He looked like a giant from where she was sitting hunched. "I know you can read minds, Angel. And I realise that you probably don't like what I'm doing with these needles. But I need to tell you one thing. You're very important in the greater scheme of things, whether you realise it or not. And unlike before, this is a lab trying to help, not just prod at you," she gritted her teeth. She highly doubted the last bit. Although she was only roughly about 8 years old, she was certain no other child her age would be under these conditions. They would probably be playing with dolls or something, she thought. "Why are you keeping me contained, then, if I'm so important? I feel like a caged animal, if you hadn't noticed. Plus you're sticking needles in me, which isn't really persuading me to believe what you say." She said, then sighed and rested her head on the palm of her hand. "We're keeping you in here because you're the most powerful being in your 'flock'. Jeb told Max it was her responsibility; he only told her that because she's his biological daughter, and he wanted her to save the world. But it's you."

She looked up at the whitecoat. It could be a load of complete lies, for all she knew; except she read his mind. She could see that he was repeating what he was told and he honestly believed what he said. "Saving the world? Aren't I a bit young to be doing stuff like that?" The man inhaled deeply, looking exasperated for some reason, and replied with "You know that your muscles and bodies develop quicker than the average person; even though you're around the age of an 8 year old, you're far more developed and intelligent. The scientists at the School designed you to develop quicker because they all knew that it would be one of your responsibilities, one of your flocks', and you had to be strong to take on the challenge. It was just a matter of time to tell us who it was. And it turns out that person is you." He smiled at her and her lips finally upturned to return the expression. "What do I have to do?"