Chapter Eight

8

"Follow me, we're nearly there now," the whitecoat whom Angel had become quite fond of led her back to the lab, and she was going there willingly. A couple of years ago, she would have been kicking and screaming in an attempt to escape, but she was much stronger now. There appeared to be nobody else but them in the entire facility which had disconcerted her earlier in what must have been the evening, but now she had grown accustomed to the echoes if only two voices.

Internally, this felt, for her, like the right thing to do. She missed Gazzy a bit every so often when her mind occasionally drifted, but then remembered the rest of the flock and shook away the thought; if they cared, they would have rescued her from here. Even if they tried to now, it was too late; she liked it here, and appreciated how much more important she felt. Before everyone only cared about Max. Always about Max. Pitiful, she thought bitterly.

The grey door creaked as the man pulled it open, a sound which bounced off the empty hallway surrounding them. He turned on the lights, whose bulbs flickered momentarily before lighting up the lab they had been in earlier. She hated cages, so when she noticed the one she had been contained within earlier, she shivered with discomfort. "Don't worry, you're not going back in there," the whitecoat chuckled. He looked tired, Angel now noticed. She closed her eyes and silently slipped into his mind as he sat down in an office chair in the corner of the room and began to turn on some machinery.

It was dark at first, but then it became clear what the machinery was for; gathering and concentrating her power. From what she could see inside his head, it shouldn't be a painful process if all goes to plan. She opened her eyes and escaped his mind, seeing with her own eyes what this machine looked like- it had a sort of helmet and a chair, with an array of wires attached to both. Well, the scientists in these labs managed to provide us with the powers to begin with, right? So this shouldn't be any trouble at all.

"You're a smart girl, you can probably guess what I'm going to ask you to do." He shot an endearing glance at her and she smiled and nodded in response, swiftly making her way over to the chair. She sat down on the cool black leather, the chilled material raising goosebumps on her exposed legs. "Now, I just need you to close your eyes and relax..." She followed his instruction, trying not to tense her muscles. She felt, in the darkness, the tight metal helmet being lowered onto her head.

"Okay, good... Now could you try and concentrate on what it feels like to use one or any if your powers?" Her reaction to the request was the feeling of what could have been fire coursing through her body, which she had never felt before- maybe, worryingly, she was developing another power. This possibility racked her brains but she tried to remain still and calm. She couldn't see anything, but there was a humming of a machine being brought to life near her, which was getting louder and louder. Then, out of the blue, a sharp electric pain shook her entire body. It hurt so much- she wanted to scream, but she repressed it by gritting her teeth. It was getting worse, until about thirty seconds later it came to a stand-still. For some reason she now felt oddly... Normal.

She forced her eyes open, blinking hard three times to make sure she could keep them open, and looked over at the whitecoat. Beside him was a sort of jar-like shape, which now contained a blue glow, sort of like the middle of the Tardis in Doctor Who. "Success?" She couldn't help herself from asking. He smiled, but for some reason this one wasn't quite as comforting as the previous. "Yep, all went exactly as planned. You've not got any powers anymore."