|12| Fatherly Duties

Naris sat down with Nigel in the den. This was a conversation that was long overdue. He knew things had to be right with his son, especially in order for things to be right with his wife. Shayy wouldn't talk to him until all of the kids confirmed that they talked to him.

Naris poured himself and his dad a glass of Hennessy. It was still early morning but the tension in the house was thick and they needed to loosen up. Naris handed the glass to his dad. He sat across from him so that they could look each other in the face when they had their discussion.

"I'll start by saying that I'm sorry for the things I said. Or at least the way I said them. I know I hurt your feelings and I didn't mean to do that. But, I honestly don't feel like art is a good career. I've never been one to believe in something that I didn't see a solid plan for. I shouldn't have said that your dreams are stupid or implied that you didn't have a choice with what you do with your life. I should've discussed this with you awhile ago, but I was so hung up that my children, my eldest son for sure, would take over our business.

I had a chance to look at your work last night. I couldn't sleep because I knew I fucked up. It looks liked your mom had already put some of your music on my phone. I was going through trying to find something to ease my mind and I came across Ris & The Boys." Nigel smiled. Naris couldn't help but smile knowing his dad liked his music.

"Your song, Mama,made me shed a tear. I wish you could've known her. She was so free spirited. She clearly didn't get that from my dad and my mom was the sweetest thing ever, but she was by the book. I take it she got that from her dad's side."

"I thought you said you were twins?"

"We were. Different dad's, same mother and birth date. It was a weird thing. But, your father, he died when you were about six. I told you he was in the army. He died in Afghanistan . Nelda was so in love with him. She'd planned her future out so well but her death was so unexpected. I still think about her everyday. 24 years later." Nigel put his head down.

"I wish I could've known her."

"She was amazing."

"At least I have Ma. I doubt you could've done any better when it came to choosing a woman to commit to for the rest of your life."

"I don't think so either."

"So, about my move."

"Yeah, let's talk about that."

"Again, don't be mad at Ma. I asked her not to say anything to you and she egged me on to tell you. I didn't want to tell you because I knew somehow you would react the way you did and put my dreams down. I also knew that no matter what you said or what you threatened me with, I would still attempt to follow my dreams."

"Threaten you?"

"You know how some parents do the whole 'If you don't follow my rules, I'll kick you out and cancel your bank account' type of thing."

"Your mother would kill me if I ever even thought about it." Nigel laughed.

"Damn, I can't wait to have that." Naris smiled.

"It's a sweet thing. I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. I think you and Christina have a promising future. She's a very smart girl. Good with her numbers and very pretty. I think you did well for yourself. Plus the fact that she's willing to relocate with you and start her life over."

"That was all her choice. I of course wanted her to come with me but only on her free will. She's ready to get away from here. I told you the family life is crazy for her."

"I hope you take care of that girl. We didn't raise you to disrespect women."

"Never Pops. I screwed up once, I'm not letting her get away again."