11

Carmelita had finished all her homework last night. And she had packed three bags for the long drive before going to sleep. One containing different devices and a camera, the second bag contains every snack and canned drinks she found around the house, and the last one is for some random stuff she thought might come necessary on the way.

For the first time in a while, she set her phone to alarm. She got everything ready before sunrise. She woke up earlier than anybody else in the house and made breakfast, divided into four, and she only managed to eat half the portion of hers. And to make things a lot easier, she made a sandwich for Peter.

Carmelita set the bags on the living room's carpet and sat on the couch to wait for Peter. Her thoughts are interrupted by some moving cars outside after several minutes, sitting with her eyelids becoming heavy. She stood walked beside the door frame, pulling the thick 

curtains aside, peaking through the blinds and saw multiple cars lining up on the side of the roundabout. She hurriedly took the bags as soon as she saw Peter getting out of the car.

The morning is cold just like the usual. The surroundings are filled with wildlife noises.

Peter took two of the bags as Carmelita locked the front door, and they walked to the car together. He opened the compartment, revealing a cooler placed on the top right corner. In curiosity, Peter opened the heaviest bag in his hand. His expression turned into a frown when he saw all the packs and cans.

"You brought cans? I brought bottled ones instead." Peter opens the cooler containing bottled litres of different colour and flavoured soft drinks floating with ice cubes. He took a few cans from the bag and placed them in the cooler too since it would be easier to drink from those. Carmelita took a large bag of chips, and she brought the rest for the others before getting into the passenger's seat.

"Here, have you had breakfast? Eat this then. I made this sandwich for you." Carmelita grabbed the sandwich which she had prepared for him to eat. It is wrapped in tin foil, and two rolls of cling wrap plastic.

"I had coffee." Carmelita almost shoves him the food after mentioning coffee and nothing else. The small pieces of lettuce are fresh and crunchy. The boiled eggs are chopped into small cubes to blend with into filling.

"This guy! You should eat something with coffee, it's bad for you!" Her frustrated tone didn't come as scary as she intended to scold Peter, rather, he found it cute that he says nothing else but to eat the sandwich. "Do you like it?"

"It's the best sandwich." He licks the mayo off the corner of his lips.

"Either way, you'll have to eat it." Carmelita points her right index finger at him, as Peter could only chuckle. She would not just simply eat it all for herself or set it aside even if the filling is not to his liking. "Why are we in separate cars, Peter?" Carmelita asks as she opened the large bag of chips.

"Those are the securities. And four hours of driving would be a backache for everyone, so we need some space to move around." Peter spoke with his eyes focused on the road.

Carmelita couldn't help the temptation to look at him. The angle she has of him from the passenger's seat shows a lot of his details. And being treated like this with the kind of personality he has makes him even more handsome.

"I'm glad you've found some people who are here for you in this journey, Peter. People that are trustworthy and people that you share some things with." 

"Thank you, I appreciate it." His slight chuckles make her heartbeat loudly inside her rib cages. The sun's bright and warm light touches the skin on his face which highlights his every feature.