Athyra stifled her surprise and rushed to their side, grabbing Tavra's shoulder firmly. "We must leave while we still have the chance. Now." Athyra turned away, ushering both Tavra and Onica forward. "Onica, lead the way, we will follow behind."

"Keep your sword drawn." Tavra added, following Onica closely through the vast tunnel.  

Surprisingly and unexpectedly, Nith's light was indeed just enough to guide their path through the darkness, and before long, they came upon a small opening located high up on the cave wall. Using the new beam of sunlight to guide her, Athyra scrambled up the side of the wall, and instructed Tavra and Onica as they carefully made their way to the opening. 

When the cold cave finally disappeared behind them, the group emerged on trembling legs to breath in the beauty of the sunlit world around them. It was s shock to the senses. Even though they had not spent a particularly long time underground, the fresh scent of air, trees, flowers, and misty ocean immediately overcame them. They stole a moment to calm their nerves and center emotions. Athyra dropped to one knee to steady her rapid breath, wiping away the last remnants of blood from her skin. Tavra and Onica embraced vigorously, careful not to crush Nith under their weight.   

Athyra glanced behind her, absorbing the love Onica and Tavra shared. The sight was comforting to her as well. It was a realization of safety. A confirmation that they had survived another impossible ordeal. It was in that moment Athyra realized how important Onica truly was. She had not been selected by chance. She was meant to be here--meant to be by her side. The will of Thra demanded their survival, and so it had given them all the strength to do so. They lived to fight another day, and if possible, many more to come. 

 "We made it." Tavra proclaimed with pride, still steadying her breath. 

Onica glanced down to Nith, noticing the purple glow was fading beneath the sunlight. "We did. But how? How is this possible?"

Athyra rose to her feet once more and walked toward them. "I have a feeling their is much more to this girl's puzzle than we know."

Onica nodded solemnly and held Nith close again, emanating her maternal instincts. "I do not understand. I have never seen anything like this before."

"I do not think we are meant to understand," Athyra stated. "Not yet."

"But surely you must have known something," Tavra said, rising to meet Athyra eye to eye. "How could you not?"

Athyra gazed down at Nith in wonder. "I assure you, I know nothing. This is a secret she carries alone."

Tavra turned away to look at Nith, cradled gently in her lover's arms. "It's our secret now. And we must find answers."

"I know this is the key. I know." Onica whispered, raising her face to the sunlight.

"What key?" Tavra wondered. "What do you--"

"Don't move." Athyra uttered forcefully, grasping Tavra's arm abruptly.

Tavra froze instinctively, her warrior's mindset sensing severe danger in Athyra's tone. Before she could ask Athyra what was wrong, her eyes darted through the trees in front of her, landing on a sharp shape among the underbrush. She saw it. A rakkida. Rakkida's were one of the apex predators of Thra. Huge wolf-like creatures with armored bodies, fierce claws, and vicious teeth which protruded from their mouths. One of the few creatures skekMal himself considered to be a formidable opponent. Although they hunted in packs, this one appeared to be alone, yet there was no way of telling. Even if it was alone, the level of danger was hardly lessoned. With the group's beaten physical and mental state, this was a battle they were not prepared for.